Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2008 Macbook Pro keeps turning off randomly

Working on a Late 2008 Macbook Pro /

2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor /

8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Memory /

OS X 10.9.5

It randomly turns off whilst I am working. I have to press the start button, log back in, and recover work from crashed programs. This is now happening evert day.

The battery was replaced just a couple of months ago, and RAM added, 4gb to 8gb.

As a graphic designer I am often using Adobe Creative Suite and high quality graphics, I suspect this may have something to do with it.

Have reset SMC and reinstalled mavericks with no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Late 2008 15 inch

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 2:32 AM

1 reply

Nov 25, 2015 8:15 AM in response to tessmila

The most common reason for sudden, uncontrolled power-Off is overheating.

You should be able to hear the fans running if you place your ear or a stethoscope near the center of the keyboard. You should be able to feel air being exhausted out the back at the hinge area. When your Mac works hard the fans should speed up and become audible as they work to reduce the temperatures detected by multiple sensor inside.

If you are not hearing the fan, an SMC Rest may set things straight. If not, you may need a new fan, which can be installed while-you-wait at an Apple Store, and is not exceptionally expensive.

Late 2008 Macbook Pro keeps turning off randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.