Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No option to erase or partition Samsung 850 SSD for MacBook Pro

I trawled the internet to find a solution as to why my MacBook was freezing and after days of attempts I came to the conclusion that the HD needed replacing. Now I've replaced the HD with this new highly recommended SSD from Samsung, I can't erase the drive and I have no option in Disk Utility to partition it either. I try to erase and the machine tells me the process has failed. I've tried booting off a USB and I get the same result. It's driving me nuts. I need help. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 4:03 AM

3 replies

Nov 25, 2015 4:28 AM in response to kaz-k

I "trawled the internet"... yes, I've tried recovery mode; I even tried switching it on and off again. I bought a new drive because I couldn't resolve my original problem. When your HD is dead you live in recovery mode. So yes recovery mode, disk utility, booting from USB - all of these options have been tried. The problem is how to format the new SSD so that I can recover my old system onto it from Time Machine.

No option to erase or partition Samsung 850 SSD for MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.