Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Documents revision folder

Hi!

I´ve been using an app called Sketch which creates documents revisions all the time. Following this medium article, I run a command to avoid this behaviour

https://medium.com/@thomasdegry/how-sketch-took-over-200gb-of-our-macbooks-cb7dd 10c8163#.g4jmffouz

Since then my computer restarts here and there and freezes sometimes. I tried to revert the command:

sudo du -sh /.DocumentRevisions-V100

defaults write -app ‘sketch’ ApplePersistence -bool no

Without success. Sketch doesn´t save automatic copies anymore and my computer behavies buggy

Any help?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 4:41 AM

6 replies

Nov 25, 2015 11:26 PM in response to granmah

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - Mavericks

Nov 25, 2015 11:38 PM in response to Eric Root

Thx Eric!

I set up an admin account and, yes, the problem is definitely user related cause the application auto-save feature is working normally with the new account. How can I solve my problem?

It all started when I run this command:

defaults write -app ‘sketch’ ApplePersistence -bool no

Which I tried to overwrite with this other one:

defaults write -app ‘sketch’ ApplePersistence -bool yes

Any ideas?

Best regards

H

Nov 27, 2015 12:02 AM in response to granmah

You are welcome. I'm not familiar with that application, but you might have a corrupt .plist file. Below is how to get to your user Library. You will ne looking for a file that starts with com.(developers of Sketch).XXXXX.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Documents revision folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.