Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where to store movies purchased on iTunes

Is there anyway or can I even store movies punched from iTunes on a hard drive of any type.

To save space I keep them in the cloud till I want to download on my device and then just delete from device and they go back in the cloud.

Any help would be great.

Thanks, Mark

iPad Mini, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 5:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 2:43 PM

You can and should download them via iTunes on a computer and save them there or on a external drive.

8 replies

Nov 25, 2015 4:38 PM in response to drtigger

I used to store all my iTunes content on my iMac within iTunes and use home sharing to stream to my Apple TV's. Recently I had my iMac's 3TB fusion drive replaced and I've since decided not to restore all that video to my iMac.

I'm throwing caution to the wind and trusting iTunes in the Cloud so now I just stream my purchases right to the Apple TV from Apple's servers. Call me crazy. 😉

Nov 26, 2015 2:28 AM in response to drtigger

drtigger wrote:

Thanks, having a macbook air I don't have a lot of space. Read that some say not a good idea storing them on a Apple TC....

It depends on why you are storing them.

If it's just to keep a copy incase Apple ever remove your purchases from the store, then a TC should be fine. If however you want to use it as your library it can create additional traffic over your network and maybe introduce streaming problems. Shouldn't be a problem on a reasonably stable network though.

where to store movies purchased on iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.