Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted message found on Mac with image attached - image won't open??

Hi there,

Recently found old texts from searching in spotlight. Looked further into them and there was pictures attached with format, IMG. I clicked to open but it just made an echo sound and did nothing. What's the way to resolve this and how do i open them? Old pre school photos I'm sure, so keen to see them.

Thanks in advance,

Craig.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 4:59 AM

1 reply

Nov 25, 2015 1:02 PM in response to fergusson95

Hi,

I have very old Saved Chats in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iChat/Data/Library/Messages

In this same folder is the Alias that points to the Attachments folder.

The Attachments folder is in ~/Library/Messages

The older chats have Pic-in Line within the chat.

Later ones (mostly created in Messages) separate the two in to the Locations mentioned.

I have checked a few of mine and have founds that some Saved Chats don't link properly to the items in the Attachments folder.

I can only compare the dated Saved Chats and the dated Attachments and then see if the sub folder contains the picture.

The actual Chat should list an Info "i" tat should show the File transfer window as to whether it received the item.

In my case the File Transfer window has no History in it at the moment meaning it is not an means of finding the actual pics.

User uploaded file

9:02 pm Wednesday; November 25, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Deleted message found on Mac with image attached - image won't open??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.