Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4th gen Apple TV wi-fi drop outs (and maybe iPad Pro)

I've been using my new Apple TV 4th gen 64gb running the most up to date os for a couple of weeks now and like it over all. But much of the time, it all of the sudden loses network connection. If I'm viewing say, Netflix or Fox Now, or any video or game app, I keep getting this pop-up telling me that the network isn't detected. I can still continue playing my game or watching my video, but for some reason, I briefly lose connection. When this happens, I can no longer use the Siri function, so I believe that the connection is actually severed. I've tried restoring but that didn't solve the problem. I checked the network connectivity in settings and it was recognizing my modem with a strong connection. My modem is on the other side of a wall only about 10 ft. from my Apple TV maximum. When I had my Apple TV 3rd gen, I never had this problem. Also, I just received my new iPad Pro. I noticed while downloading a couple of magazines that this intermittent problem might be occurring on it as well, because I'd get an error blip about once every 20 seconds telling me that there is no connection. Then it would start downloading again only to have it pop up again moments later (just like my Apple TV). Any thoughts?

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 6:57 AM

1 reply

Nov 26, 2015 1:03 PM in response to vdodirector

Hello there, vdodirector.

It sounds like you're having intermittent issues with your Wi-Fi network and your new devices. The following Knowledge Base article offers up some great steps for troubleshooting connectivity issues with your network:

Get help with Wi-Fi networks on your Apple TV

Check that everything's on, connected, and in range

Make sure that your Internet router is connected to your modem and both are on. If your router and modem are combined, just make sure that the device is on.

Keep your Apple TV in range of your router. If it's too far, your Apple TV won't get a signal.

Connect to Wi-Fi

On Apple TV (4th generation), go to Settings > Network. On Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation), go to Settings > General > Network. Choose the name of a compatible Wi-Fi network to join and, if asked, enter your password.

If you don’t see a list of Wi-Fi network names or if you see Ethernet, you might need to remove an Ethernet cable from your Apple TV. If you don’t know your password, get help.

Restart your Apple TV, router, and modem

After each restart, see if you still need help. On Apple TV (4th generation), go to Settings > System and select Restart. On Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation), go to Settings > General and select Restart.

Next, unplug your router and your cable or DSL modem from power. Then plug them back in.

Use an Ethernet cable and check for software updates

If possible, use an Ethernet cable to connect your Apple TV to your modem.

If you can then join your network, check for software updates: On Apple TV (4th generation), look in Settings > System > Software Updates. On Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation), look in Settings > General > Update Software. If there's an update, install it. Then unplug your Ethernet cable and try to join your Wi-Fi network again.

Still can't connect?

• Make sure that there isn't interference in the area.
  • If you're connected to Wi-Fi but you can’t get online, try to use your Wi-Fi network with another device. If you can’t get online with the other device, there might be a service outage. Call your cable company or Internet provider for help.
  • Try to connect to a Wi-Fi network in a different location. If your Apple TV connects, you need to get help with your original Wi-Fi network. If your Apple TV can’t connect to any Wi-Fi networks, contact Apple Support.
  • Make sure that your Wi-Fi router has the latest version of the firmware. If you're using an AirPort Base Station, learn how. For help updating a non-Apple router, contact the manufacturer. Also, make sure that the router works with your Apple TV.

Thanks for being a part of Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards.

4th gen Apple TV wi-fi drop outs (and maybe iPad Pro)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.