Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme(6th generation) not working well with SuperHub 2ac

Hi all,

Let me start by explaining the issue and also a little of how I got into this situation in the first place.

I became a Virgin Media customer around a month ago and have 50Mb cable broadband.

Everything started well and setup went smoothly and quickly.

The SuperHub 2ac seemed to work well, with good range and Speed tests coming back with a solid 50Mb Down and 3Mb Up. Unfortunately there seems to be a serious issue which only effects my Macbook 2015 which causes it to completely stop working. It stays connected to the SubperHub on a wireless connection but starts to give DNS errors and page not found errors after some time every day. This can be resolved temporarily by deleting wireless connections, restarting the Macbook and connecting again, it was happening around twice an evening. Long story short I gave up after trying everything I could and decided using my Airport Extreme as the router.

I set the SuperHub in Modem mode and connected up the AirPort Extreme using the AirPort utility. Everything seems to work fine until I do a Speed Test www.speedtest.net and get a high ping of over 100 and speeds from 3Mb down to 7Mb down. As far as I'm aware all settings are default. I have tried to switch IPv6 off and this for a moment seemed to fix the issue, however I'm back to square one.

So current setup is:

SuperHub 2ac in Modem mode

AirPort Extreme with DHCP and Nat, and Wireless enabled.

AP plugged into only port that works on the SH WAN port and on the WAN port of the AP.

Laptop and other devices (iPhone, iPad, Android TV and PC) all working on wireless although I have also plugged directly in with CAT6 to AP with same results.

Ping is always high and speeds fluctuate when using this set up. If I stop using the AP and use the SH in router mode then internet speeds are perfect, I get what I'm paying for, although my Macbook stops working everyday.

To be honest I'm not impressed by the SH's lack of functionality with Apple products, although I guess the same could be said in reverse.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Obviously if you have any questions then please let me know.

Thanks

Oli

MacBook, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 7:18 AM

3 replies

Nov 25, 2015 11:40 AM in response to oliuk80

AP plugged into only port that works on the SH WAN port and on the WAN port of the AP.

AP must plug into Superhub LAN port not WAN.. but if it works I suspect this is just a typo.

Laptop and other devices (iPhone, iPad, Android TV and PC) all working on wireless although I have also plugged directly in with CAT6 to AP with same results.

Expand this one.

What you plugged into the AP with cat6 ethernet is your 2015 Macbook and it still only achieves low speed.

That would mean it is not working on both wireless and wired connections??

If that is the case the Macbook is faulty.. or the install of El Capo is corrupted.

The first thing I would do is reset the nvram and SMC if you have not done that already.

Then I would make a backup using Carbon Copy Cloner (etc. it is free for a month trial).. so a full bootable clone.. tested.. then wipe the MBP and reinstall fresh clean version of El Capitan.. no luck.. return the Macbook to apple for testing or replacement.

Nov 25, 2015 3:30 PM in response to LaPastenague

Hi LaPastenague,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Apologies that I may not have been as clear as possible in my original post.

AP must plug into Superhub LAN port not WAN.. but if it works I suspect this is just a typo.

Yes sorry I meant to say the modem mode port / LAN port next to the cable in.

Expand this one.

I have multiple devices connected to the APE using wireless and also wired. I have also connected the Macbook to the network using Cat6 and wireless with the same speed results.

What you plugged into the AP with cat6 ethernet is your 2015 Macbook and it still only achieves low speed.

Yes that is correct

That would mean it is not working on both wireless and wired connections??

Yes, when I connect to the APE, however the MacBook speeds are fine when connected to the SH (not in modem mode) although it does completely stop working after a couple of hours. The Macbook works fine on other networks, i.e. in my office. It is also important to tell you that I work in IT and some of my colleagues also have MacBooks and SuperHubs with the same issues. The problem the Mac has with the SH is a known reported issue that many are having but currently has no resolution.

If that is the case the Macbook is faulty.. or the install of El Capo is corrupted.

The Mac works fine across all other networks, just doesn't work with the SH, would be great to find out why but not the issue here.

All networked devices connect to the SH (not in modem mode) with correct speeds. All devices run with slow internet when connected to APE, which makes me think this is the connection between the Modem (SH) and the APE, or at least a setting possibly?

Hope this all makes sense! Maybe someone has experienced the same problem or could let me know the best settings for connecting the APE to the SH in modem mode.

Thanks again

Nov 25, 2015 4:05 PM in response to oliuk80

Ok.. that makes it clearer.

We have seen definite issues with the Airport AC models.. WAN port.. It is not universal but it has issues with some hardware and not others.

The issue is not at all clear.. Unfortunately Apple provide us with next to no info or details.. and this box is seriously hard work to get into.

SuperHub 2ac in Modem mode

AirPort Extreme with DHCP and Nat, and Wireless enabled.

As a test, can you please put the Superhub back into router mode..

And put the AE into bridge mode..

Once you have done that.. move the connecting cable.. on the airport extreme from WAN to LAN port.

In bridge any LAN port is equally usable as WAN.. but the problems with WAN port are physical not just firmware.. and we have found tremendous improvement in results when you move it to LAN.

Tell me how this goes.. because other tests are kind of difficult .. I might need remote access.. !!

Airport Extreme(6th generation) not working well with SuperHub 2ac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.