Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro can be seen on network, But comes up Not Connected

Hi everyone. I have a MacPro with El Capitan. I have also a MacBookPro Laptop. For some reason I can't seem to connect to the MacPro. The File sharing is turned on and I have shared folders (which I can't seem to delete or add any new ones).

From the laptop I can see the Mac, but when I goto connect I get a message at the top of the window 'Not Connected' The MacPro can connect too the Laptop (which is running 10.10.5) and also has Internet (all via Ethernet).

I had a problem a while ago with the internet on the Machine which I think was caused by me setting up a new locations on the Network which has now been deleted. Also, at one point I changed the Computer Name (The name kept annotating with a number XXXXXXX(2))

Is there a sharing preference that might or been screwed since all the changes that I can delete and reset? Should I be able to delete shared folders and add new ones?

Please help.

lister

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 7:56 AM

14 replies

Nov 26, 2015 12:55 AM in response to lister

I can connect to the internet but there seems to be a problem with the sharing of folders etc? I can't seem to add any new folders too the 'Shared Folders:' Menu with the +. Also I can't seem to delete the old folders too? I have tried to turn off sharing and turn it back on. But still nothing.

BFAqua is it wise to share my IP adddress of both My MacbookPro and Mac Pro? Though I know I did have an issue with the MacPro Renaming itself as I installed PLEX and it seemed to screw things up a little.

I can connect to other devices from the MacPro too the MacBookPro but not the other way? Surely there is a network preference which can be deleted and reset in someway..

thanks so far

lister

Nov 26, 2015 1:12 AM in response to lister

On the EC Mac is only file sharing by AFP checked File Sharing>Advanced?

Before upgrading from Yosemite to EC on my 2009 Mac Pro I could share form my 2013 Yosemite Mac Pro with both file sharing vis AFP and SMB checked. However, after upgrading to EC I had to uncheck SMB file sharing on the EC Mac in order to file share.

Nov 26, 2015 1:45 AM in response to lllaass

thanks for this but this didnt seem to solve the issue. A strange thing happened though, I was able to add a folder from a shared hard drive called 'films'. I restarted my MacPro and then the folder was renamed films(2) it seems the re-naming is causing the problem. If I renamed the MacPro at one point would it cause sharing problems?

Nov 26, 2015 1:55 AM in response to lister

just tried to connect direct to my mac pro using the ip address and it connected ok this way, I was able to see folders I previously setup (before the problem) The shared folders in the System Preferences > File Sharing > Shared Folders had only 3 items yet the IP address allowed me access 5 folders? It seems when I Browse Local lan seems to be screwed. Any ideas?

Nov 26, 2015 10:58 AM in response to lister

Yes, it's safe to post/share your local IPs.

In Finder's Menu, select Go menu>Go to Folder, and go to "/volumes". (no quotes)

Volumes is where an alias to your hard drive ("/" at boot) is placed at startup, and where all the "mount points" for auxiliary drives are created for you to access them. This folder is normally hidden from view.

Drives with an extra 1 on the end have a side-effect of mounting a drive with the same name as the system already think exists. Try trashing the duplicates with a 1 or 2 if there are no real files in them, and reboot.

If it does contain data...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2474

Nov 27, 2015 5:35 AM in response to lister

lister wrote:

I haven't any extra volumes with (1) etc.. just the below.

Macintosh Pro HD (alias)

Media

Sounds

Work

MacPro ip 192.168.1.67

Thanks

Did you try connecting by using the Mac Pro's IP address?

In the Finder, press Command-K, and then enter that address in in the box, this way:

afp://192.168.1.67

and press enter. NOTE: this address may have changed in the meantime, so recheck and enter the correct address.

Mac Pro can be seen on network, But comes up Not Connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.