Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

network credentials

I am using a wifi network for an Apple Macbook Air (Late 2010, OS X Yosemite) and attempting to connect to a windows 7 laptop on the same network. Need access to its files, printer, etc. I can see both computers on the Network Page in Settings. When I double click on the Windows 7 laptop icon a security screen opens asking me to enter Network Credentials to connect to the laptop. Same thing occurs when attempting to add a printer connected to the laptop.

The network credentials are a User Name and a Password.

Where can I find these? I have no recollection of setting this up and thus do not know what they are. Is there anyway to delete current settings and reconnect to the network?

Many thanks for any help.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 9:06 AM

If this local wireless network is in your home, then you must have set it up when your modem/wireless router were installed/set up. At that point, a network name and password had to have been set up. Sometimes, your ISP will provide a default network name and password (mine did), but it can be changed. In any case, there is a sticker on my modem/router combo which has that info on it (if you did not change it). In order to your wireless devices to be able to connect to the router, you need to enter that info and "register" the device with the router. If you can't find it, call your ISP and/or go to the modem website (something like 168.192.x.x - should be in your setup info guide) and you can change the info there.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2015 9:06 AM in response to winim64

If this local wireless network is in your home, then you must have set it up when your modem/wireless router were installed/set up. At that point, a network name and password had to have been set up. Sometimes, your ISP will provide a default network name and password (mine did), but it can be changed. In any case, there is a sticker on my modem/router combo which has that info on it (if you did not change it). In order to your wireless devices to be able to connect to the router, you need to enter that info and "register" the device with the router. If you can't find it, call your ISP and/or go to the modem website (something like 168.192.x.x - should be in your setup info guide) and you can change the info there.

Nov 25, 2015 9:17 AM in response to babowa

Babowa,

Many thanks for the prompt response. I am connected to wifi and have the name and password for the router. The problem occurs when attempting to connect to the laptop that is also on the network. For example, when attempting to connect to the printer that is connected to the laptop, a box opens and requests "Enter your user name and password for the print server "laptop". Below this you can connect as Guest or Registered User. You then need to enter your Name: and Password: It automatically fills in my name but I do not remember the password. Have not been able to locate it in keychain. Is there some way to delete all connections to the laptop and start over?

Thanks again for your response.

Peter

Nov 25, 2015 9:22 AM in response to winim64

You should be able to go into System Preferences > Network on your laptop and delete that network, then try to join it again. However, that just joins the same network for which you will need the password. The password goes with the router and it set there, so you can't change it anywhere else - you need to change it there; either on their setup website or by calling your ISP (most likely will need to call because your router is preconfigured with that).

network credentials

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.