Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extracting data off shot hard drive??

After downloading and trying to install El Capitan, it's shot my hard drive. Spent an hour on apple chat support to find out probably some underlying issue with hard drive and the update just pushed it over the edge. I haven't backed up to my external in probably a year (TERRIBLE I KNOW) but I was hoping to extract my data from this shot hard drive if possible prior to replacing. Any suggestions? Don't know what operating system I was on before trying to install El Capitan so I have no clue and I can't get to my desktop. It's stuck in the install that won't actually install.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 7:06 AM

2 replies

Nov 25, 2015 7:13 AM in response to stephanieroe

If the problem lies in software or the directory structure, use an enclosure or Target Disk mode, and try copying the files off; you may need to use a data recovery product such as the ones listedhere. Don't write anything else to the drive until the files are recovered or you choose not to recover them.

If the problem lies in a hardware component other than the drive, replace that component.

If the problem lies in the drive itself, not without contacting a service such as DriveSavers. These may charge hundreds or thousands of dollars.

(136549)

Nov 25, 2015 9:45 AM in response to stephanieroe

How comfortable are you regarding opening your mbp, putting in a new hard drive or SSD, and using the terminal app? And what year is your Mac? Do you have other computers available that you could possibly use to query and inspect your old hard drive?

As a first step, I advise removing your old hard drive, put it in a safe place for a while, put a new (blank) hard drive or preferably a SSD in your Mac, then restoring your original OS, then running hardware diagnostics extensive mode and multiple times. Optionally after that, you can upgrade to El Capitan, and then run diagnostics again and again. After that, what to do depends on what computers you have available and your comfort level with apps like terminal.

(I had some more detail advice and had almost finished typing it all when I connected a good drive via a NEW USB enclosure to my computer JUST to find out OSX naming scheme in regard to discs ( /dev/diskN where N=0,1,2,3,…) and a few minutes later my mac book air kernel panicked and gave me a grey screen. Probably the enclosure wasn't developed and tested with OSX. If my reply was autosaved I can't find it... )

One of the first things you may want to do, even if you send the drive off to an "expert", buy another external hard drive of equal or greater size than you old drive and then in terminal do something like (I welcome discussion here!):

dd if=/dev/disk1 of=/dev/disk2 bs=4096 conv=sync,noerror

http://serverfault.com/questions/4906/using-dd-for-disk-cloning

Along with the programs Niel has mentioned, there is freeware out there, see

http://askubuntu.com/questions/211578/whats-the-difference-between-ddrescue-gddr escue-and-dd-rescue?rq=1

Extracting data off shot hard drive??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.