Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Retina Bootcamp USB set address failed

I'm running Bootcamp with Win10 Pro and sometimes I get the following error: "USB Set Address Failed" it refers to the SD card. It happens even with no card on the slot. However in OS X the SD card reader works perfectly its just a Windows issue.

I updated Boot camp drivers but the problem still persists, any input will be appreciated.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 8:15 AM

35 replies

Jan 7, 2017 9:15 AM in response to FurryLikeMonkey

Just as a bit of background, the issue was infuriating me so much that today I booted the Mac from a sierra USB installer and wiped the ssd. Wiped the GUID partition table too. I then did a clean install of macOS and went straight to installing windows 10 with a fresh ISO from the microsoft website. I did nothing else to the machine and the problem was there right away.

Don't really know what else to try at this point!

Jan 7, 2017 3:08 PM in response to FurryLikeMonkey

We feel for you Doug. Nice to know you can repeat the problem so easily. I also find the slow response of the boot menu, there are just so many bad symptoms here I just didn't mention it before: trying to navigate the osx boot menu is like walking through mud. The whole experience suggests the os is very busy doing something entirely erroneous.

I'm afraid I can't access my bug report with apple atm on any of Firefox, Safari or Chrome. Previously Safari led me to a working UI bug report and that's how I filed the bug originally, but now all browsers give me the same errors about multiple redirects never resolving. So I can't tell you if any progress has been made, every browser eventually leads me to a blank bug-report UI with no data, I suspect a server problem. But the best thing you can do is as Loner T and myself have suggested in previous posts and try as hard as you can to raise your own bug ticket with apple and when you eventually succeed in doing so, post the details here so that others can keep track of what's been done and help to keep up the fight

Feb 24, 2017 10:22 AM in response to moritz31

Apple haven't responded to my bug ID. No one from Microsoft has responded to my posts.

I agree with LonerT, if we haven't already been abandoned entirely, the only hope is for other people to file bug reports with Apple, and post progress here, and raise the issue with Microsoft in forums or however else you can. Surely they must eventually respond to us with something?

Feb 26, 2017 7:00 AM in response to moritz31

See this:http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/270248/macos-startup-manager-is-very-s low-and-laggy/273361

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/270248/macos-startup-manager-is-very-sl ow-and-laggy/273361

and in particular

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/261369/macos-sierra-boot-problem-relate d-to-apple-sd-card-reader-driver/273357#…

I'm still reading through these myself - some people say its a hardware issue, some say a reinstall fixes it. I'm wondering: do all of you with the SD card problem also suffer from slow startup manager (in the way described in all these posts?). There are various fixes to try with the UEFI - do these work for any of you? Do they solve the SD card issue too?

Feb 26, 2017 7:13 AM in response to towoode

FileVault2 (and BitLocker) behave differently with 'cold' and 'warm' boots. I do not use FV2 or BL. On a 2012 MBP with El Capitan 10.11.6 , and do not see similar delays. SIP is another factor in slow behavior.

The SD Card issue is unrelated since it works properly on the OS X side. If a Sleep (or Hibernate) brings the SD card back in Windows, then it indicates issues with device discovery for specific events.

Has Apple responded with any requests for information on bugs created so far?

May 24, 2016 7:01 PM in response to toberho

I had the same issue following iTunes 12.4.0.119 -- installed on MBPro (BC - Windows 10) just yesterday evening 24 May, 2016.

Found this article helpful:

http://www.technipages.com/itunes-fix-iphone-or-ipod-not-detected-in-windows

iPhone was listed under device manager as an Unkown Device.

I completed the same steps from the article for the Unknown Device (Apple iPhone) this time updated drivers to > C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support (and included sub folders)

Once the iPhone device drivers were reloaded, the device appeared as Apple Mobile Device Ethernet

The issue with the set address was then resolved.and the phone is now able to HotSpot again.

Jul 30, 2016 10:16 AM in response to PMacNeill

The issue is about SD Card reader which is not being recognised and is being reported as Unknown Device (set address failed)

I have exact same problem. I have installed iTunes with no luck. I have also installed Broadcom driver with no luck and also tried with Realtek driver with no luck. I have also tried all the tips & tricks that google can find for me.

MacBook Pro Retina Bootcamp USB set address failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.