Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 3 won't charge, keeps showing battery icon

So, my iPad3 which was working fine till I updated to iOS suddenly died. No amount of charging seems to be doing anything. All I get is the battery icon with 4 red lines.

- I have tried different charging chords which I know work because I have a spare iPhone 3S which seems to charge ok with the chords.

- I guessed my battery needed replacing so I replaced it but I still get the battery icon.

- I also replaced the charging port, but the battery icon still shows.

-I can't enter recovery mode either. Holding the home and sleep buttons don't do anything. J

ust wondered if anyone else had the same issue? Is my iPad unrecoverable? Thanks

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 7:17 AM

1 reply

Nov 25, 2015 7:27 AM in response to saviomf

You can try the steps below, although I'm not sure they will work in your particular case.

Press Sleep/Wake and Home buttons and hold them for at least 10 seconds.

If this does not help, take a look these Apple Support articles:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on - Apple Support

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support.

As a final step, try the recovery mode. Turn your device off, then plug it to your computer with the home button pressed. Keep the Home button pressed until you see the iTunes logo on the screen of your iPhone. After that on your computer you should see the iTunes window saying your iPhone needs to be restored to factory settings. Click on the restore button.

More info here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

If these steps don't work, contact Apple and ask for help.

https://www.apple.com/support/ipad/contact/

iPad 3 won't charge, keeps showing battery icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.