Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving Library to External Rather Than In Movie Folder

Hi,

Other than having to reconnect files is there a problem with moving your fcpx libraries to an external drive rather than keeping them in the movie folder? Thanks, joe

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 10:59 AM

No. And you probably won't have to relink..

But just remember that you're copying the library. Test the the library copy to make sure the projects open before you erase the original.

Russ

9 replies

Nov 25, 2015 4:53 PM in response to Russ H

I have the same libraries on my internal and external drives. When i open all projects in fcpx they're present but aren't linked. When i go to link them from either drive i get the following:

Incompatible File

1 name matches were found, but one file is not compatible.

Relinked files must have the same media type and similar audio channels as the original files, and must be long enough to cover all the clips that reference the files.

Select a single item at a time to get information about why it is not compatible.

I haven't been in fcpx on this computer to open a project in a month or so. I was able to open projects previously. During that time my HDD has gotten full and my computer has turned off or crashed it seemed because it couldn't handle all of the activity with such low HDD space. That's the only thing of significance that's happened since i was able to open projects in fcpx. I was copying and pasting the libraries to the external to free up space on internal.

Any ideas? joe

Nov 25, 2015 6:42 PM in response to Russ H

Nothing was moved. I did copy and paste my two libraries to an external drive. When the paste was almost finished to the external it was unplugged thus the external disconnected. So at that point i saw that one of the libraries had fully pasted to the external. So i copy and pasted the second library to the external. But all projects from both libraries have files that need to be relinked and won't relink because of the former message stated - incompatible files.

At this point as stated I have both libraries on both drives. joe

Nov 26, 2015 6:09 AM in response to ofpeb

ofpeb wrote:

When the paste was almost finished to the external it was unplugged thus the external disconnected. So at that point i saw that one of the libraries had fully pasted to the external.

Well that's important info.

If the destination drive disconnected while the library was in the process of being copied, there is a good chance that some items got corrupted.

Where is your media stored? Is it in your library? How big is this library?

Russ

Nov 26, 2015 7:36 AM in response to ofpeb

So just to verify. you currently have 248 GB library on your system drive and a copy of that library on your external drive whose projects all throw an incompatible media error? (And a similar situation with duplicate 124 GB libraries?). Do the projects in the libraries on the system drive behave as expected?

Russ

Moving Library to External Rather Than In Movie Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.