Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes running slow, solution found via apple help

iTunes running slow, solution found via apple help, 1.5 hours with apple help, deleted thousands of Cache files, then simply created a new iTunes library, named to suit, and then in iTunes File dropdown menu clicked on add to library, found itunes music file (in music on my mac) clicked on it, selected music wanted (chance to prune unwanted tracks & albums lclicked on "open" at bottom of page. Nearly 30,000 "tunes" then copied to the newly created file and wonderful to find iTunes was fully operational! back to full speed, no hint of the beachball! Hope this works for all.

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 9:55 AM

4 replies

Nov 25, 2015 4:03 PM in response to Chris Bello

Apple took over my screen & directed me to the cache files to drag to trash, but I don't remember where they were? (possibly in library) however, it seemed that the real problem was with the actual iTunes music library having some sort of corruption. Changed users & tested iTunes with new user set up and it worked fine. Went back to normal user mode & held down alt key when clicking iTunes image in dock. Then created the new iTunes library and transferred iTunes Music to it. I had 100 or so playlists created but they did not copy over, however it was just great to have the programme running as fast as it ever did; very, very pleased! Seems this will work just by creating a new library, without having to delete any files. I am now making separate libraries for classical & pop.

The lady in support didn't think it was to do the new updates (El Capitan or iTunes) just a coincidence (shared by many!!!) but she proved to be right!

She hoped I would pass on this info to the Forum.

Good luck!

Nov 29, 2015 1:30 AM in response to Chris Bello

Don't know if this will help you, but I had the same problem. I also have a huge library on an external drive.

I went through creating a new library, emptied cache etc... lost artwork blablabla... never worked out ortemporarly.

Long story short... Click on the magnifying Glass in the search bar and uncheck "Library" so that iTunes doesn't read out the full library everytime you do an action (I think, this is the problem - I am not sure)

Worked for me like a miracle. If it works for you spread the word. This problem is a pain.

iTunes running slow, solution found via apple help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.