Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV 4 home sharing not working

Hello,

I'm trying to get Home Sharing to work with my new AppleTV. I have 2 older apple tvs that never gave me an issue with this.

Here's what's up. I'm connected to the same network with all my devices. My computer is an authorized computer. Home Sharing is enabled on my ATV and computer. When I try to view my computer files from the AppleTV 4 it gives me the same old message "Turn On Home Sharing In iTunes". My computer is using windows 7 iTunes v.12.3.1.23.

What I've done so far:

• Reinstalled iTunes on my computer and changed my computer name.

• Reset my AppleTV4 and change it's name to something other than Apple TV.

• Verified they are indeed connected to the same network.

• Verified that my existed AppleTVs still work (and they do).

• Verified my firewall wasn't blocking any ports that my be utilized by iTunes.

• Connected the computer with the AppleTV4 via Ethernet cable. This worked, my library was populated and I could view my movies through the device. But this isn't the fix I'm looking for, we are living in an age of wireless communication after all.

• Open iTunes on another computer (windows 10) to see if the device was listed on iTunes Airplay and if a library could be seen through Home Sharing. (I was able to view my library using the another computer.) This also is not the solution I'm looking for since I do not keep the bulk of my movies on this particular computer.

• And last, unplugged and reset my router just to make sure. No fix here.

So, there you have it. Any ideas out there what my be causing this? I'm really hoping I don't hear "known issue" regarding this topic.

Thanks everyone.

(Oh yeah, googled the heck out of it too, couldn't find anything to fix the issue)

AppleTV 2, Windows 7, New Apple TV (4th Gen)

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 7:56 AM

There are no replies.

AppleTV 4 home sharing not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.