Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOs WiFi Password

Hello everybody !

I have just noticed a very annoying "feature" on my iOs devices.

If I connect to a WiFi network after a certain amount of time, I have to say probably

a month, or also coming from an upgrade form iOs 8.x to 9.0 to 9.1 between that period,

I have to put the password again! AS it was the first time !

In the past, even if it had passed years, the device was remembering the wifi password.

Now it doesn't happen anymore.

Is it a "feature" ?

or

Is it a "bug" ?

Can i solve it ????

I don't need to tell you how many time i have lost putting passwords again and again or losing

the ability to connect myself since the network manager was missing to give it again to me

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.1, null

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 8:35 AM

The only time that you should lose the password for a Wi-Fi network, is if the Wi-Fi network is setup that requires login after a certain period of inactivity, or if you have done something to the phone that would remove passwords. Action such as a restore, reset of network settings, or restoring a new device from a backup of an older device cold cause this.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2015 8:35 AM in response to paolo.risso

The only time that you should lose the password for a Wi-Fi network, is if the Wi-Fi network is setup that requires login after a certain period of inactivity, or if you have done something to the phone that would remove passwords. Action such as a restore, reset of network settings, or restoring a new device from a backup of an older device cold cause this.

Nov 25, 2015 8:15 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Nope !

THANKS A LOT FOR THE ANSWER !

I did not ant of these steps, even if I think that probably they should not lose the ability to "remember" wifi passwords.

If I do a complete retore of a device, why I should type again the passwords ? It's a restore... So it's meant to replace

ALL the informations where they were. Not to replace SOME of them.

I could think that these happens because they create some "fingerprints" of the previous iOs device that is different

from the new one, probably even if they are the same device and iOs is reinstalled.

But I don't see the logic of such a kind of system....

Can anybody explain it to me ?

It seems that instead of getting things easier, it gets the more complex !

Nov 25, 2015 8:35 AM in response to paolo.risso

When you restore a device, some passwords as passed over and some are not. Much of this is dependent on the network. Also, in some networks, when the device ID changes, then it is not recognized by the network as being the same and you have to log in again. This can also happen to Bluetooth, if you restore a new iPhone with the backup of an older iPhone, some Bluetooth devices will not allow the new one to connect until the connection is forgotten and established again due to the MAC address change.

Is this happening with all of your Wi-Fi networks, or only some? Has the network undergone any changes that you are not aware of?

Nov 25, 2015 8:38 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks a lot again !

The networks which I'm trying to connect have the same setups, either SW or HW.

It's very strange to me, because this happens also apart from iOs update/restore. Said in

another way, almost every week iOs forgets the password, where other devices, with other OSes

doesn't !

And if I use an Android or WinPhone device this doesn't happen.

In order to confuse the things more, also on OsX happens.

And if I use linux or Windows, on the same hardware, this doesn't happen

iOs WiFi Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.