Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older (1.1) Mac Pro runs SLOWER with RAM upgrade.

I have an older Mac Pro. I've been running it with 8 megs of RAM until just recently. RAM boards included original 4x512K chips that came with machine, plus 1Mb chips I had added, so I was using all 8 slots to get only 8MB of RAM. Bought 4x2mb to put in slots previously taken with the 512 chips, so new total would be 14Mb.

With new RAM installed (14MB total) the machine ran slower. One thing I noticed is that when the full 14mbs were installed, even though the systems saw them just fine, the additional memory was not being used, according to Activity Monitor - apps like Lightroom and Photoshop were absolutely crawling, but LOTS of free ram showing on the monitor.

All else being equal - plenty of HD space, etc- removing the additional ram restored its previous performance. Now, instead of both RAM boards, I'm just using one memory board with the newer 4x2 Mb modules, totaling 8 mb RAM, while the second board holding older chips worth 6MB sits on my desk. Performance is better but gosh darn it I'd really like to use, and benefit from, the additional 6mb of RAM!

What the heck?

MacPro, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 9:36 AM

16 replies

Nov 25, 2015 9:55 AM in response to lllaass

System profiler showed new sticks OK, and Activity Monitor showed 14MB available.

In fact, it's the NEW sticks that are running now, all on one board, while the second board sits on my desk. I've tried the sticks in various combinations, and the outcome is the same - both boards with 14MB slower, one board with 4x2MB, better. Hence my total confusion. Whatever is wrong, it doesn't seem to be the memory sticks.

Nov 25, 2015 7:05 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Sorry if my original post was unclear. Here are the 2 configs I've been wrestling with today:

Config A - 14MB: 6x2MB +1MB+1MB -- All 8 slots filled, 14MB RAM total, results SLOW, with all sticks checking out in System Profile, but Activity Monitor clearly showing that most of the RAM is not being used even while apps CRAWL.

Config B - 8MB: 4x2MB, all in one riser card, results MUCH BETTER, noticeably faster performance in all apps. Activity monitor shows normal use of RAM, peaking during high activity and going back to normal, etc.

Exactly the opposite of what I would expect, which is the reason for my question. It's as if the additional RAM is slowing the computer down but not being used, which does not make any sense.

Plenty of room on HD - I have 4 x2TB internal working drives with one drive set aside for working space, more than 1.2G available for cache, scratch disk, etc

Thoughts?

Nov 26, 2015 10:06 AM in response to lllaass

I think I discovered the problem, and it has nothing to do with the RAM. The 2007 CPU is just too feeble for the 2015 apps I'm running. In Activity Monitor I can see that the CPU is maxed out by the processes I'm trying to do; I think having more RAM installed actually makes it worse, the additional RAM causes the CPU to work harder compared to having less RAM and therefore more VM/scratch disk hits. Having to use VM seems to ease the load on the CPU, although it should be slower to do so, the CPU doesn't show as much burden with less RAM; With more RAM, the CPU is getting maxed out, so the processes are actually slower.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Older (1.1) Mac Pro runs SLOWER with RAM upgrade.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.