Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

microsoft mouse and El Capitan

just a heads-up. Apparently, El Capitan breaks the drivers for Microsoft mice. I have an Explorer Touch mouse which was working fine up 'til now. Now, when I restart my Mac Pro, the mouse doesn't seem to work at all, unless I zap the Pram. After I do that, the mouse seems to work okay. Don't know why, exactly.

Checked Microsoft's Website and there are no updated drivers for this, as far as I can tell

most annoying

any suggestions welcomed

thanks

John B

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 12 cores

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 12:37 PM

2 replies

Nov 27, 2015 2:43 PM in response to Johnb-one

I have a wireless Apple mouse that was working fine until I installed El Capitan.

Now there are times when it will not move or click on anything. For example, in Apple Mail I click (repeatedly) on another email in the in-box and nothing happens. I can quit Mail and start it again and it will work again.

Has been negatively affecting productivity of a couple of us!!!

Dec 30, 2015 9:00 PM in response to Johnb-one

I've tried to execute the following "Helper" as a login item under "Users & Groups" > "Login Items" hoping this would fix the MS mouse issue under El Capitan - This did not work.

/Library/PreferencePanes/Microsoft\ Mouse.prefPane/Contents/Resources/MicrosoftMouseHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/Micro softMouseHelper

What did work & still works reliably is that I created a shell script and crontab entry using "Terminal". The script is as follows. Note that your Microsoft Mouse Helper file name may be named differently so ensure you find the correct one, should be same or similar.

######################################

# file name : /users/myloginid/mouse

######################################

#!/bin/ksh

# The following red text is one line in the script, the forum just wraps the text.

nohup /Library/PreferencePanes/

Microsoft\ Mouse.prefPane/Contents/Resources/MicrosoftMouseHelper.app/

Contents/MacOS/MicrosoftMouseHelper > /dev/null 2>&1 &

exit

# Set execute permissions on the file.

chmod 755 /users/myloginid/mouse

# Create a crontab with one line as shown. This gets executed when the system boots.

crontab -e

@reboot /Users/myloginid/mouse

:wq!

# View the crontab

crontab -l

@reboot /Users/myloginid/mouse

Now reboot the Mac and see if your mouse is working right.

This has been working reliably for me without disabling SIP with csrutil.

Randy

microsoft mouse and El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.