Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to utilize backup and restore with supervised devices?

I have an iPhone 5c that got dropped and the screen cracked but otherwise it works. A replacement iPhone 6 was ordered. I was able to pull a backup of the damaged phone 5c with Apple configurator (Yosemite version). I want to restore that backup to the replacement iPhone 6 and I also want to supervise the new iPhone 6. The iPhone 5c was supervised. I can't seem to restore and supervise the new device. I have to choose one or the other.

After all the restores and supervisions I tried this morning I discovered the following:

• If I back up the phone with apple configurator I can restore it with apple configurator but the restored phone can not be supervised without being wiped and that defeats the whole purpose of doing a restore from backup.
  • If I supervise a phone first with apple configurator then try to restore the iphone from backup, it removes the supervision, even if the phone that was backed up originally was supervised with the same Mac to begin with.

Something doesn't seem right about this. Can someone please tell me how to supervise an iOS device without wiping it, or restoring a supervised backup and retain the supervision?

The only reason we have to supervise the devices now is to prevent activation lock on company-owned devices. If it wasn't for that, this would not be an issue.

iPhone 6, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Apple Configurator 2

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 10:21 AM

There are no replies.

Is there a way to utilize backup and restore with supervised devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.