Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any ideas to why my network is not working?

I know that this is an Apple forum, and not a "wireless networking forum," but I was hoping to get an answer from here because I know that so many people are familiar with wireless networking. So, since June, we have replaced our original router three times, our modem once, and our extender five times. We have bought only 4.5-5 star devices, so the problem is not quality. Apparently, support from all of the manufacturers only know "the device is working, or it is not working, and if it is not working, it needs to be replaced." We have not had working internet for more than a month since early this year, and I hope we can change that. We have gone through one Belkin router, one Motorola modem, one Hawking extender, one Arris (and working) modem, three HomeScreen router-extenders, three D-Link routers, and one Netgear Nighthawk EX7000 router-extender. Either there is paranormal activity in our house, every single wireless device we get is defective, or, even though we have reset all of the wireless networking devices, our network is infiltrated with a virus. We own only Apple devices except for a Surface Pro three and an old Dell laptop that we have not used in a very long time. I really don't want to spend the rest of my life replacing networking devices every month, so hopefully any of you have an answer.

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 11:33 AM

3 replies

Nov 27, 2015 7:58 AM in response to HarrisonMG

You're right, as long as you have a proliferation of devices from different manufacturers they're all going to point fingers at one another. There is no possible way a Belkin router can misbehave, therefore your Apple equipment must be to blame. Also, if you even mention the fact you're using a Mac their conditioned response will be to say they don't support Apple.

Belkin makes some quality equipment but routers are not among them. I too spent not an insignificant amount of time and money before disposing of all the cheap junk and replacing it with Apple AirPort devices, and that was years ago. Since that time all my networks have been working flawlessly. Apple will be hard pressed to point fingers at someone else when all you're using is their products. You will also find immediate, competent assistance from this site, especially if you were to post any questions or concerns in the AirPort forum: AirPort.

As for your Surface Pro though, you're on your own 😝

Jan 2, 2016 7:06 AM in response to John Galt

Sorry for not getting back to you--there were (of course) issues with my Apple ID so I switched accounts and it took some time to find this discussion. A little while after you replied, I had everything running smoothly. Then, just yesterday evening, the extender quit on me. I have tried everything I can think of, but I can not fix it. I will go to the AirPort forums like you have advised.

Thank you,

Harrison M. G.

Any ideas to why my network is not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.