Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your bootable USB Drive could not be created: There is not enough space available on the disk. Huh?

Trying to install Boot Camp. I created a windows ISO (4 GB). I put a 64 GB flash drive in the unit, which didn't work, followed by a 500 GB external hard drive. I get the following message: "Your bootable USB drive could not be created: There is not enough space available on the disk. Huh?"

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7; 12 GB memory

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 11:10 AM

This is an erroneous message. Do not use a mixed (32-bit/64-bit Windows installer - ISO or DVD). If there is a file on the Windows Installer media, which is greater than 4GB, a FAT32 USB will not support it. It is not a disk space issue.

12 replies

Nov 25, 2015 6:48 PM in response to Banjeff

Disconnect the 500GB drive. It will cause problems. The 64GB drive should be formatted as an MBR scheme disk with FAT32. Do not use GPT for the USB. On some models 64GB flash drives cause trouble. It should be a USB2 flash drive. A USB3 can cause problems. A SD card will not work. Usually a 8-16GB USB2 flash drive from a good brand will work. NONAME USBs have trouble when used as boot devices.

Nov 25, 2015 7:20 PM in response to Banjeff

If you can post a screen shot, it would be helpful.

There is also an OS X Terminal equivalent. Here is the syntax.

diskutil eraseDisk

Usage: diskutil eraseDisk format name [APM[Format]|MBR[Format]|GPT[Format]]

MountPoint|DiskIdentifier|DeviceNode

Completely erase an existing whole disk. All volumes on this disk will be

destroyed. Ownership of the affected disk is required.

Format is the specific file system name you want to erase it as (HFS+, etc.).

Name is the (new) volume name (subject to file system naming restrictions),

or can be specified as %noformat% to skip initialization (newfs).

You cannot erase the boot disk.

Example: diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ UntitledUFS disk3

Dec 11, 2015 7:51 AM in response to Loner T

Loner,

My mac is new. I got an open box model, late 2014. It is 27" late 2014 I7 4.0 with hybrid drive and 16GB memory. I still have telephone support, and spent many hours with with a senior tech consultant trying to make it go. I finally did get it to load on a USB flash drive, but the windows load had no cursor. After many tries, I finally got a cursor one time, so could progress, That one time, I got to the partition list. I went to the BOOT CAMP partition, and, per instructions, reformatted the partition (to change it from FAT32 to NTFS). That time, the program informed me that there was no legitimate partition which would accept my windows program. Then I went back to try again and got no cursor. I even loaded from a DVD to a USB flash drive and got no cursor. At that time, I gave up and dredged up an old copy of Parallels. I'd have preferred Boot Camp, but after 20-30 hours, I don't think I can get it to work.

Thanks. If you have any more thoughts, I'm open to getting them. Otherwise, I frankly give up. And many thanks for all suggestions.

Dec 11, 2015 8:11 AM in response to Banjeff

1. Can you run the following command in OSX Terminal when you are in the directory which has the ISO and post your output? I have the following three files.

openssl md5 Win8.1_English_x64.iso

MD5(Win8.1_English_x64.iso)= e0d4594e56c0545d379340e0db9519a5

openssl md5 Windows8.1-64bit.cdr

MD5(Windows8.1-64bit.cdr)= f104b78019e86e74b149ae5e510f7be9

openssl md5 Win10_1511_English_x64.iso

MD5(Win10_1511_English_x64.iso)= a0d4271b7537732a060909fd39d54829

If you have a different ISO, please let me know what the file name is.

2. Use a USB2 flash drive. Using a USB HDD or an SD Card will not work.

3. Run the following two procedures with all external storage disconnected before your next BC attempt.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

4. If you are also downloading Windows Support Software as part of this process, please use a wired connection, if possible. You may need a TB-to-Ethernet adapter and a RJ45/Ethernet cable.

Your bootable USB Drive could not be created: There is not enough space available on the disk. Huh?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.