Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro grey screen, new HDD

Hello all, I have a pretty long story about what has happened to my macbook so I'll try to make it short.

So about one month ago my cat chewed through my charger so my macbook was inactive for about a month. I then purchased a third party charger with good reviews and plugged it into my macbook and it worked no problem. However, it seemed very sluggish and trying to open 20 different applications ( I admit I'm a bit haphazard with what I leave open on my laptop) Anyway I tried to boot it up later and it wasn't budging. It would get to the apple logo after the chime and would load for a bit and then go to the "grey screen of death." Now, before you ask I've tried EVERY little tip and trick on the internet including that settings reset thing.

Unfortunately, I have no access to recovery mode. I never made backups (doh!) or time machine or anything like that. I tried doing INTERNET recovery but it didn't work. HOWEVER, I have made some positive steps. First, I bought a cable in order to dump my files onto my other computer and save them. I then Formatted the drive with MacDrive on my PC. It's still in the correct Mac-compatible format. So now that my HDD is of no consequence. Where do I go from here? I figured Internet Recovery would work but it goes through the whole process and then back to the grey screen. Is my internet not connecting? (considering it is a login/password internet) I would any suggestions. I'm pretty desperate at this point to save my macbook.

TL;DR My Macbook wasn't booting up;grey screen, now my HDD's blank and I want to reinstall Mac OSx and boot up my computer again!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 12:18 PM

6 replies

Nov 25, 2015 1:05 PM in response to doctadunk

Where do I go from here? I figured Internet Recovery would work but it goes through the whole process...

I'm not sure what you meant by many of your steps, but let's start here. What do you mean by the whole process, that it restores your mac to original condition, then when you try to boot you get grey screen?

When you try internet recovery, do you get to a menu or anything?

What year is your mac? Macbook pros made before some year/OS do not have internet recovery and you need to start over with the installation discs. In most cases it doesn't matter if you upgraded to new OS versions, it depends on how the mac was originally shipped.

Nov 25, 2015 8:52 PM in response to doctadunk

1) I'm not sure if you are getting into internet recovery. Hold command-R down before you even hit the power button, and hold those down, for what may seem a long time. I may have read somewhere to try another key combo, such as option-R or even option-command-R, but I a may be getting confused with diagnostics. If all else fails, you might try holding D down while booting, or option-D, and see if Apple Hardware Test over the internet is able to run.

2) you say your internet requires a login and password? That may be a problem, I'm not sure. OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support says internet recovery doesn't work with all network configurations, such as captive-networks. You may need to try recovery at a friend's place?

I strongly suggest using a wired ethernet connection, not wireless, if possible. But if you don't have wired ethernet connected, "internet recovery" should first ask which wireless network you want to join*, then the passphrase if it isn't open. If you aren't even getting that far, you might not have internet recovery on your Mac, but Macbook Pros mid 2011 should have it in their firmware. Either you have other hardware problems, or you need to hold command-R sooner and longer.

After internet recovery gets far enough, you should get a menu to re-install OSX, or go to other utilities such as disk utility. I suggest first going into disk utility and reformatting your hard drive (again) and do some disk utility verification or checking of the disk. This might be a good time for a new disk if your old disk is 4 years old; a SSD will speed it up and make it seem like a new computer. But if you were able to recover your files, your disc may last a while longer, but I advise setting up time machine.

Last, when doing some things such as diagnostics, you must be on AC power, not battery. If the system doesn't recognize your adapter, or if it isn't adequate wattage, I would think you would get a warning message, but there is always a small chance it is messing things up just enough to make life difficult.

* I have only run internet recovery twice in my life, years ago and a couple weeks ago, so some of this is from my memory.

Nov 26, 2015 9:53 AM in response to doctadunk

A few minutes after my previous post, I remembered, some Macs circa 2011 had some video-logic board issues.

https://www.apple.com/au/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

hmm, does "au" in the above url mean australia?

Back to the topic, if you have a 15 inch or 17 mac book pro 2011, and now you can't the computer to boot into anything, your computer may be eligible for a free repair if the logic board needs to be replaced.

A link in the above link may bring you to another page where one can enter the serial number of their mac and see if it is covered by any extended repair program (?). Technical problems are temporarily preventing me from verifying that!

Nov 26, 2015 9:57 AM in response to Bob R Oregon

TThank you bob for your help so far it's very much appreciated.

heres what I can say. I've been past the login portion of the Internet recovery mode. After I select my network it loads for about 15 minutes, completes the loading bar but never makes it to the recovey menu and then shuts off the computer.

AS far as the warranty my computer isn't eligible.

i Am running the hardware test from the Internet (so the Internet seems to work for that) and am currently waiting results. Will let you all know the outcome.

Macbook Pro grey screen, new HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.