Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to block Optimum pop up

I have a Mac Mini (Late 2014), processor 2.6 GHz running OSX 10.11.1 El Capitan. My problem is a popup that keeps coming up constantly, no matter what program I'm running. The popup ask me to sign on to Optimum WiFi but I don't have and never had Optimum. I had done all steps recommended by Apple support, deleting a lot of files. I scanned with Sophos Anti virus, Clean my Mac and Sweper, all report my Mac “clean”. I have blocked pop ups both in Safari and Chrome. Short of a new clean install does anybody had the same experience and can tell me how to get rid of this nuisance? This thing has come up twice while I right. Thanks a lot.

Mac mini (Late 2014), iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 12:26 PM

4 replies

Jul 20, 2017 7:23 PM in response to adrimario

I had the same issue. Simple solution. I have Optimum as my ISP. Optimum has a ton of hotspots all over wherever Optimum home networks are located. In my home, I have my home wifi network setup as "regular" wifi and the much faster 5G configuration. Whenever Optimum does a new modem and router install, they will also activate another Optimum wifi hotspot. Whenever my Mac mini RESTARTS, my Mac always reverts to my "local" Optimum hotspot rather than automatically reconnecting to my 5G. That's when you get the pop up prompt to sign in with your username and password. All you need do is reconnect to your home wifi network and the Optimum pop up goes away. Cheers!

Nov 28, 2015 5:17 AM in response to adrimario

I scanned with Sophos Anti virus, Clean my Mac and Sweper, all report my Mac “clean”.

The first step is to get rid of all that stuff. It's all worse than useless. Then see below.

Please post a screenshot that shows what you mean. Be careful not to include any private information.

Start a reply to this message. Drag the image file into the editing window to upload it. You can also include text in the reply.

How to block Optimum pop up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.