Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photo Library - Downloading Pictures?

I just activated iCloud Photo Library and uploaded all of my photos. When I view the pictures on my iPhone or iPad, I notice the little downloading circle at the bottom right hand corner of the picture (the thing that looks like a clock and fills in clockwise as the photo is loading). Does this mean the photo is actually downloading to the device in order to view it? If so, my question is - is that picture permanently downloaded to the device or does that space get freed up when I move to another photo? My concern is that as I scroll through all my photos, each picture appears to be downloading but that would mean I would eventually have all pictures on my device which defeats some of the purpose of having the iCloud library. I don't have much space left on my iPad so I really don't want all the pictures to be on my device yet I still want to view them. Thanks!!

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 1:18 PM

The space will be freed again, if storage is needed on your device. Photos is keeping some photos stored locally, but you cannot control how long they will stay after downloading them.That is completely automatic.

4 replies

Nov 29, 2015 2:53 PM in response to léonie

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I have a related question. Maybe this should be a new thread? Let me know and I'll repost it.

My wife has 15,527 photos and 772 videos for a total of 103.62 GBytes stored on her MBP. We started uploading these photos to iCloud on November 2nd (four weeks ago tomorrow). It has been running around the clock and we have been measuring progress every few hours. It is moving very slowly. I calculate it is uploading at a rate of about 80 Kbits per second. My DSL upload limit is about 900 KBits/second.

The upload progress screen in Photo shows the number of items that have been downloaded and that number goes down very slowly, sometime only one item will download in several hours. It also shows how many GBytes have been uploaded with a target number to be uploaded. Often it will upload as many as 8 GBytes of photos and will only decrement one item.

Several times it has reached the GByte goal and the update of GBytes stops, but it keeps uploading and the "items" number continues to decrement slowly. If we pause the upload and then start it a while later, it continue to decrement the items and after quitea while will show a new number of GBytes to upload and the number of GBytes loaded (first fractional GBytes) slowly grows. Sometimes it will upload about 20 items in an hour.

My question is, "What is an item?" . I suspect an item can be a single photo, or a video which will be a collection of photos (30 frames per second of video). So can someone help me understand what an item is and why the target number of GBytes to go will go down to zero and then when the upload is restarted will have a new target number. Anyone know why this process is so slow? I'm connected to my Internet via an Ethernet Cable. Although it doesn't seem to make much difference if we use WiFi.

She has purchased 200 GBytes of storage on iCloud. There must be a better way to manage a photo library this large.

Thanks for any suggestions or clarifications.

Vee

iCloud Photo Library - Downloading Pictures?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.