Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

W10 external drive display problems

So I'm trying to get W10 running on an external J500 T-bolt drive, I'm using Winclone.

My internal bootcamp runs perfectly, when I try to boot into the external drive partition I can reach the login screen just fine, but when I get to the desktop the viewable menus and mouse cursor start flickering the mouse specifically seems to 'flicker' between the actual cursor and a loading icon. I can not use the mouse(I can move it around) and keyboard commands seem to only partially work. I can CTLR+ALT+delete into the task manager, log out, switch users, ect, but can not simply navigate to anywhere using say, the command key and arrow keys. Unfortunately I can't boot into safe mode by this method and I'm kind of dumfounded on what this could be. Possibly a display driver problem but it only happens on the external drive.

Curiously Disk Utility reports a 5GB difference between the used space between my external and internal drives (they're supposed to be mirror images)

not sure what's going on with that.

Specs;

iMac late 15 6700K/ 1TB SSD

395X.

I'm using a Transcend J500 512GB SSD T-Bolt drive, which I've seen other people successfully use.

Anyone have any problems?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), W10_1151 build

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 1:07 PM

14 replies

Nov 25, 2015 5:22 PM in response to Blmlozz

1. When Windows is running from the TB SSD disk, can you get into Device Manager, expand the Disk drives and check the properties. What is the connection protocol? Please also expand the IDE controllers, if any.

2. Also, since you are using Winclone and have a backup Winclone image, can I suggest erasing the current Windows on the SSD and doing a clean install of Windows on the SSD and test how it works? I have seen issues with Winclone and device drivers.

3. What is the source of this Winclone image? Same iMac?

Nov 26, 2015 6:11 AM in response to Loner T

sucess! Installing directly to the drive has worked, no flickering and i'm up and running.

Unfortunately I got click happy with deleting the Drive partitions on the disk and accidently deleted my Mac HD partition =_= but at least bootcamp works now.

THis also means the $40 I spent on Winclone was a complete waste, neither being necessary and it didn't apparently even work right.

Nov 26, 2015 6:56 AM in response to Blmlozz

There are no issues with the disk or hardware, which is very 😎. Please get your OS X installation sorted out and remove the current Windows installation, if necessary.

Let us see if we can address the Winclone image. It may not necessarily be a Winclone issue either. What year/model is the source of this Winclone image?

Nov 26, 2015 9:24 AM in response to Loner T

"There are no issues with the disk or hardware, which is very 😎."

Indeed! I'm ecstatic! Thanks so much!

"What year/model is the source of this Winclone image?"

I presume you mean the Windows 10 source?

In which case;

This is a W10 .iso from the MS website, build 1511

The source of the image I would use to clone to the EDrive would be the Bootcamp installation of this .iso

The instructions I had (previously) been following were essentially; complete the bootcamp partition/installation, then clone the internal disk bootcamp partition to the external drive and (then) delete the internal bootcamp partition.

Nov 28, 2015 8:39 AM in response to Blmlozz

Blmlozz wrote:

"There are no issues with the disk or hardware, which is very 😎."

Indeed! I'm ecstatic! Thanks so much!

"What year/model is the source of this Winclone image?"

The reason for this question was if you used a different Mac as the source of the Winclone image, but...

The instructions I had (previously) been following were essentially; complete the bootcamp partition/installation, then clone the internal disk bootcamp partition to the external drive and (then) delete the internal bootcamp partition.

There is no reason to do this. In Disk Utility, erase/format the external disk as a normal disk, which will automatically put down the EFI partition. Use BCA to pick this drive as Windows destination and normally install Windows. The instructions would normally be used for USB/FW drives. A directly-attached TB is a PCI drive for all purposes.

Nov 29, 2015 5:55 AM in response to Loner T

I'm not following you here. I do not have the old disk utility to determine if the EFI part is being installed or not, and I'm unclear on what you mean by formatting as a normal disk, but what I do is Fat/GUID. I run BCA and there is no option to select an alternative disk, there never has been to my knowledge?

You have to partition the internal disk.

BCA downloads the BC6 drivers, then restarts and the W10 installation begins. I reach the drive selection part and it gives me some error message saying it can't install into the internal partition because it needs to be NTSF formatted. There is the EFI part, the mac HD part, the BC part and the recovery part. At this point, I select the external drive part as the installation destination but it is not partitioned with an EFI part because BCA installs the EFI part on the internal drive. I've been hesitant to just delete this and force W10 to create an EFI part on the edrive because I believe then BCA won't be able to revert the internal drive back to original state (w/o the windows part) but I see no other alternative.

BCA does not install a EFI part to boot on the eDrive because it does so on the internal drive, Windows doesn't either because the EFI is already there, it doesn't care that the install/EFI part are on separate drives. BCA deletes the EFI part as apart of reverting it back to original state, thereby removing the ability to boot from the edrive.

I even went through the hassle of manually creating an EFI part on the eDrive and using Bcdboot to try to copy and recreate the EFI part on the eDrive which I had *thought* I did successfully(it had indicated so) but when I removed the BC install on the internal drive, It again does not allow me to boot to the eDrive windows installation.

Nov 29, 2015 7:49 AM in response to Blmlozz

1. Connect your external TB disk and run the following commands.

diskutil list

diskutil info diskN (choose 'N' to point to TB disk which can de derived from the pervious command output)

2. Your iMAC 2015 is a UEFI-compliant Mac, so BCA is not really required to install Windows.

3. Format your external disk as a normal GPT disk with the remainder being partitioned as Free Space. (I assume you want to use the entire external disk for Windows).

4. Boot from a W10 Installer. Select this external TB disk. Point to the Free Space on this external disk. This disk will end up with EFI, MSR and MSD parts. EFI and MSR are FAT. MSD is NTFS.

5. On a Mac when you install Windows using EFI, certain Macs with use EFI (usually disk0s2) to create a Microsoft directory which contains the Windows boot code. Please see Can't resize Macintosh HD partition starting on page 3.

W10 external drive display problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.