Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need a recommendation for a money management program besides Quicken

I recently purchased a Mac Book Pro to replace my PC.

Unlike on my PC, Quicken for Mac will not allow me to treat my checking account, maintained at a brokerage firm, as a checking account. Inquiries to Quicken and my broker have confirmed Quicken does not have this capability for a Mac although it doe have it for a PC.

Can anyone recommend another money management program that will let me treat a checking account maintained at a broker as a checking account?

MacBook Pro, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 2:56 PM

5 replies

Nov 26, 2015 12:27 PM in response to mattinglyco

I do not understand your problem.

In Quicken 2007 for Mac I opened New Account and selected my brokerage firm and then selected "Manual: Set up my accounts by entering information manually (If you choose this option you can download later):

User uploaded file

Then I selected Checking:

User uploaded file

[click on images to enlarge]

Then I finished the process by giving the account a specific name and start date and Quicken easily established it.

Nov 27, 2015 3:04 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, Quicken 2016 does not seem to follow the above protocol.

My first choice after clicking on "New Account" is to select the type of account.

I select checking, then enter my institution (Fidelity), and then I am presented with two options: either Direct Connect or Manual.

Web Connect is listed as a separate option, but it is grayed out and I am not able to use it. Fidelity also tells me that I cannot use the Direct Connect option. The Manual Option without the ability to download does not seem worth the effort.

Friends have suggested Mint or iBank so I am going to explore those.

Nov 28, 2015 11:26 AM in response to mattinglyco

mattinglyco wrote:

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, Quicken 2016 does not seem to follow the above protocol.

My first choice after clicking on "New Account" is to select the type of account.

I select checking, then enter my institution (Fidelity), and then I am presented with two options: either Direct Connect or Manual.

Web Connect is listed as a separate option, but it is grayed out and I am not able to use it. Fidelity also tells me that I cannot use the Direct Connect option. The Manual Option without the ability to download does not seem worth the effort.

Interesting: The problem may be that Fidelity Investments recently chose to stop paying Intuit for Mac connectivity. They are still listed in the list in Quiken 2007 for Mac and I am able to establish a checking account using the "Manual" button. As recently as a 9/14/2015 support document confirms that if they are still on my list (as Updated) then they have connectivity:

User uploaded file

I went ahead and finalized the setup of a Fidelity Investments Mac checking account, but not actually having a Fidelity account, I cannot test it online:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Intuit caused quite a bit of confusion in the Quicken Mac community when they released an update for the generally loathed, stripped down product: Quicken Essentials for Mac as "Quicken 2015 for Mac" and not an upgrade of Quicken 2007 for Mac. It is my hope that Quicken 2016 for Mac is a return to a true upgrade of Quicken 2007 for Mac. I have been offered a 40% discount and will probably purchase it in December to test it out for myself.

Quicken 2007 for Mac has continued to be upgraded by Intuit for El Capitan compatibility and is still available from Intuit through their online support function for $15.

mattinglyco wrote:

Friends have suggested Mint or iBank so I am going to explore those.

Under your circumstances, I can understand your interest in these other products; good luck!

Dec 14, 2015 10:26 AM in response to mattinglyco

I recently purchased a copy of Quicken 2016 for Mac for experimentation, and I have concluded that my needs continue to be satisfied 100% with Quicken 2007 for Mac.

However, I thought about your problem again and have these additional comments for you:

1) Quicken 2016 for Mac appears to allow for direct connection to Fidelity Investments in setting up a Checking Account:

User uploaded file

Since I do not actually have a Fidelity account, I cannot finalize the setup and test it out. Presumably, it may run into the same problems you reported earlier.

2) Why not just set up the account as a "generic" checking account (do not name the financial institution in the setup process, but actually name account as Fidelity in Quicken) and on a monthly basis log into the Fidelity website and manually download the month's transactions in a format that will work with Quicken, and then import them into this generic account?

This is how I enter my financial transactions monthly, as I do NOT trust any piece of software to have all of the login/passwords for my financial universe!

It does not add that much additional time to my monthly workflow.

User uploaded file

I need a recommendation for a money management program besides Quicken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.