Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect 2008 MacBook Pro to MacPro.

How do I connect 2008 MacBook Pro to MacPro

I need to use the monitor on my desktop pro because my monitor on my

MacBook pro is gone out (Black). So I need to get files off of my laptop onto my desktop pro.

IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE? If so how and what cables do I need?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 2.6ghz Intel Core Duo • 4GB 667Mhz

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 7:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 8:22 PM

You should be able to connect a Thunderbolt to FireWire 800 cable between the two, then boot the MacBook pro while holding the "T" key down. This will put the laptop in target disk mode and it's drive should mount on the Mac Pro's desktop. You can then get your files off.

If that doesn't work, then you can always pull the SATA hard drive out of the laptop and then use an inexpensive SATA to USB3 dock to read the hard drive. Such as dock is very useful for backups as well so it's not money wasted.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2015 8:22 PM in response to peplynn

You should be able to connect a Thunderbolt to FireWire 800 cable between the two, then boot the MacBook pro while holding the "T" key down. This will put the laptop in target disk mode and it's drive should mount on the Mac Pro's desktop. You can then get your files off.

If that doesn't work, then you can always pull the SATA hard drive out of the laptop and then use an inexpensive SATA to USB3 dock to read the hard drive. Such as dock is very useful for backups as well so it's not money wasted.

Nov 28, 2015 5:48 PM in response to peplynn

If it's the laptop with the bad screen, then I would hook up an external monitor to it first. Then in Mail on the laptop, add an IMAP (Gmail), or Exchange (Microsoft) account. You can then drag and drop all of your mail from your local mailboxes in Mail, to the server mailboxes.

The benefit of using this method is that once you have you mail on an external mail server, then you will be able to abandon Mail altogether and instead begin using webmail from one of those major providers. Webmail provides the ultimate in flexibility and takes away the painful process of managing and migrating local mailboxes when you get new devices. If you really don't like webmail, then you will at least be storing your mail on the server instead on locally in Mail (which, if you read these forums much, is a never ending source of trouble)

How do I connect 2008 MacBook Pro to MacPro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.