Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

com.apple.geod.xpc

If I have location services completely disabled, why is this process connecting to gspe1-ssl.ls.apple.com and gspe35-ssl.ls.apple.com ?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 3:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2017 2:26 PM

Thanks for this suggestion. What repercussions is removing com.apple.geod from launchctl likely to have? Am I correct in thinking com.apple.geod is used for location services, to determine the location of the computer?

UPDATE (after posting my question, and in case someone else comes along and wonders the same):

I've since read the following: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/63540/what-is-gs-loc-apple-com

It looks like this service is entirely related to Location Services. Blocking it with Little Snitch (as I have done) and/or disabling it with the above-mentioned (by glowinthedark404) launchctl command, will render Location Services inoperable. About the only down side I see to that (for my own usage scenario) is loss of the Find My Mac functionality. Otherwise, I've got no particular reason for apps and system services to be utilising my location. People who travel (across timezones) may find that automatic updating of their timezone and clock will fail. Easier enough to do manually, but that could be a hassle for some folk.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2017 2:26 PM in response to glowinthedark404

Thanks for this suggestion. What repercussions is removing com.apple.geod from launchctl likely to have? Am I correct in thinking com.apple.geod is used for location services, to determine the location of the computer?

UPDATE (after posting my question, and in case someone else comes along and wonders the same):

I've since read the following: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/63540/what-is-gs-loc-apple-com

It looks like this service is entirely related to Location Services. Blocking it with Little Snitch (as I have done) and/or disabling it with the above-mentioned (by glowinthedark404) launchctl command, will render Location Services inoperable. About the only down side I see to that (for my own usage scenario) is loss of the Find My Mac functionality. Otherwise, I've got no particular reason for apps and system services to be utilising my location. People who travel (across timezones) may find that automatic updating of their timezone and clock will fail. Easier enough to do manually, but that could be a hassle for some folk.

Jan 15, 2016 1:12 PM in response to asklepian

I'm rather curious about this too. It seems running the Photos.app sometimes causes the com.apple.geod service to launch and then those outgoing connections seem to happen. None of my pictures have any geo data though (I make pictures with a good old Canon and not with a cell phone).

Anyway… I blocked this junk requests via Little Snitch. It is still annoying though if such stuff runs unwanted. It's a pointless waste of all kind of system resources and an unnecessary privacy leak.

com.apple.geod.xpc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.