Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport express had green light, recognized by the network, did the factory reset, changed the cable to the stereo and still no sound when airport express is checked on AirPlay. What now?

Airport light is green, it is recognized by the network, I changed the cable to the stereo and still no sound from the stereo I checked airport express on AirPlay. What next.

null-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 5:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 6:40 PM

I suggest that you temporarily connect a pair of stereo headphones to the audio port on your AirPort Express. Can you hear the audio stream now?

10 replies

Nov 26, 2015 1:42 PM in response to harrisfromsanta barbara

If you are not getting sound out of the base station's audio port, then one of the following may be the issue:

• The audio port is defective.
  • The base station is not configured properly for streaming.
  • There is no audio stream coming into the base station.

What is the exact model of your AirPort Express? How do you have it configured in your current network? That is, is it the only router, or do you have it configured to either extend another router or to join it? If it is the latter, what is the make & model of the other router?

What is your audio streaming source? iTunes, or another media player?

Nov 27, 2015 8:41 AM in response to harrisfromsanta barbara

Thanks for the updates. Let's verify that AirPlay is able to recognize and sync to your AirPort Express. The easiest way to do so is to use iTunes on your Mac. Run iTunes and verify that the AirPlay icon is near the top left of the iTunes window. (Note: This may be different depending on the version of iTunes that you are using.) Is it? If so, click on it and verify that your AirPort Express is one of the AirPlay devices listed. If it is be sure it is selected.

The other option to verify AirPlay is to go to Preferences > Sound > Output. AirPlay should show up as an Output option. Does it?

If either of both of these are true, try streaming from iTunes. Do you hear sound from either the headphones or the stereo that is connected to the base station now? If not, then it is likely that the audio port or circuitry on the Express has failed.

Does your stereo support optical digital audio connection? If so, you can try using the Express' digital portion of the audio port by using a proper optical digital cable instead of an analog one.

Nov 27, 2015 9:23 AM in response to harrisfromsanta barbara

Ok, that would confirm that AirPlay is not recognizing the Express so let's try setting it up again. I suggest that you first perform a 'factory default' reset on the Express. You do this by simply removing it from power. Then, using a paper clip or something similar, hold down the reset button on the Express while simultaneously reconnecting it to power. Wait until the status LED starts flashing amber rapidly, and then, let go of the reset button.

With this type of reset the Express will return to its 'out-of-the-box' configuration which is a wireless router that will broadcast an unsecured Wi-Fi network with a network name of something like: Apple Network NNNNNN.

You can then use the AirPort Utility to configure it as a wireless client for the purposes of streaming.

Once reconfigured, it would have joined your current Wi-Fi network provided by your Time Capsule (TC) ... and show up as a wireless client on the TC.

You can then try streaming again.

Nov 27, 2015 2:37 PM in response to Tesserax

I Must be doing something wrong. Went to the Airport utility, got this "Airport Express is now wirelessly extending Airport Time Capsule (I sense that might not be what I want), then on Airport Utility, I went to AirPlay and made a password and clicked update. Airport Express shows as wireless client "iPAD". Airport Express does not show as a wireless client on Airport Timecapsule. What am I wrong wrong?

Airport express had green light, recognized by the network, did the factory reset, changed the cable to the stereo and still no sound when airport express is checked on AirPlay. What now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.