Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calculating ECTS credits from time

I'm trying to find a way to calculate ECTS-credits from time values in Numbers. Since my Numbers is not in English, I might have had difficulties to google the right thing. So, I have a list of days and times that I have worked for a school project and I have successfully calculated the total working hours. Our school counts our studies as ECTS-credits and 27 hours of work is one credit. I'm trying to divide the amount of total working hours by 27 to get the number of ECTS-credits that I have gained. I have tried few different functions, but always end up with an error of some kind. Mostly because I guess I need to be able to tell Numbers that 27 is 27 hours. But even if I put TIME 27;0;0 inside the QUOTIENT function, it doesn't work.

I'd be really glad if someone could help me with this. The ideal situation would be to get the amount of credits with two decimals. One option is to put that 27 hours in a cell that defines it as a time, but I don't think that I could still be able to calculate the decimals.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 5:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 2:31 PM

jerikofox wrote:

So, I have a list of days and times that I have worked for a school project and I have successfully calculated the total working hours.

If you have successfully calculated the total working hours as either a Number or as a Duration, then you should be able to divide that total by 27. Suppose you have the total in cell E10. Should should be able to calculate the credits with this formula in another cell: =E10/27.

SG

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2015 2:31 PM in response to jerikofox

jerikofox wrote:

So, I have a list of days and times that I have worked for a school project and I have successfully calculated the total working hours.

If you have successfully calculated the total working hours as either a Number or as a Duration, then you should be able to divide that total by 27. Suppose you have the total in cell E10. Should should be able to calculate the credits with this formula in another cell: =E10/27.

SG

Nov 26, 2015 2:09 AM in response to jerikofox

Hi jf,

Here are two examples, constructed in Numbers '09. Both are the same except for the use of duration values in the left table and numerical values in the right table. In the 'using durations' table, the values entered in column B are the same as those entered in column B of the 'using numbers' table, but include the h that tells Numbers these are duration values. Note that the duration including fractions of hours (3.5h, 4.75h and 8.33h) are displayed as hours, minutes (and seconds) by Numbers.

User uploaded file

Formulas

Using Durations::D2: =DUR2HOURS(C2)/27

Using Numbers::D2: =C/27

You asked to "get the number of credits with two decimal( places)." You can get this visually by formatting the cell containing this value to DISPLAY the value rounded to two places after the decimal, but that affects only what is displayed—the cell still contains the full calculated value, and that value is what will be used in any calculations referencing that cell.

If you are using the result in further calculations, and you want the results to reflect the rounded value, then you'll need to ROUND the results. Here are the same formulas, enclosed in the ROUND function to round the result to two decimal places:

Using Durations::D4: =ROUND(DUR2HOURS(C2)/27,2)

Using Numbers::D4: =ROUND(C2/27,2)

In Numbers 3, the division operator ( / ) may be entered as a slash, but will display as a division sign ( ÷ ).

Regards,

Barry

PS: Some notes on QUOTIENT() and TIME()

QUOTIENT(dividend;divisor) accepts only numbers as arguments. Either or both of these numbers may include a decimal part, and the decimal part will be included in the calculations.The first number (dividend) is divided by the second number (divisor), and the whole number part of the result is returned. Either or both of the dividend and divisor may include a decimal part, and the decimal part will be included in the calculations, but any decimal part of the division will be ignored.

QUOTIENT(7;5) returns 1 and ignores the remainder (2)

QUOTIENT(5;7) returns 0 and ignores the remainder (5)

QUOTIENT(13.7;6.5) returns 2

TIME(h,m,s) converts separate values for hours, minutes, and seconds into a date/time value. In Numbers, 'time' always means 'time of day.' Any cell displaying a time of day actually contains a date/time value, as does any cell displaying a date (or part of a date—eg. Jan 5).

A date/time value is NOT a duration, which is the type of value used in the first table above.

A useful reference to most of the functions in Numbers 3 is the iWork 09 Formulas and Functions User Guide. Clicking the link will open a pdf copy of the guide, which can be read in a browser, or saved to your Mac and opened in Preview.

B

Nov 26, 2015 10:09 AM in response to jerikofox

The reference to all Numbers 3 functions can be accessed here or via Help > Formulas and Functions Help in the menu.

You can choose from among 33 languages there (35 if you count English U.S. and English U.K. and simplified and traditional Chinese as separate languages). I see that, sensibly, they did not even attempt to provide help in Australian.🙂

Help > Numbers Help in the menu is also useful.

SG

Nov 29, 2015 2:52 PM in response to Barry

Thank you so much SG and Barry!

I have to admit that I was confused with using the slash sign for dividing since it makes the division sign (as Barry kindly indicated) and that sign happens to look A LOT like a plus sign with the default font. And I couldn't understand why Numbers show a plus sign when I hit the slash sign. Well, after a closer inspection it really was the division sign.

Formulas

Using Durations::D2: =DUR2HOURS(C2)/27

Using Numbers::D2: =C/27

This function with durations was the thing that I needed to get the result that looked right. And I told the cell to show me to decimals as you explained. I'm not doing any further calculations with this data, but I really appreciate the time that you took to explain everything very clearly. Now if I someday need to take this kind of things further and I want define do I use the real data or the rounded version for calculations, I know how to do that, too! Thank you for being very thorough and helpful.

Calculating ECTS credits from time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.