Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why aiport express block port 21 to use ftp server?

I almost had a trombo unti I discover my airport express do not allow me to use filezilla or cyberduck to conect to my server. I just discovered it was an airport express issue when I connected to the internet provider's modem's wifi. this is crazy. why apple did that?

OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 6:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 7:36 PM

There is an entire discussion here:

Opening Ports on AE to allow for outside FTP access to NAS

Note that FTP is a very old and extremely insecure protocol and therefore should really be abandoned. If you configure your server to use SSH and SFTP instead, you will not only be far more secure, but you will no longer have a problem with the odd way the FTP requires two ports that does not work well through NAT firewalls. By using SSH and SFTP you can also configure public/private keys on your Mac and server that Filezilla, Cyberduck, and Transmit can use for passwordless transfers.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2015 7:36 PM in response to thilek

There is an entire discussion here:

Opening Ports on AE to allow for outside FTP access to NAS

Note that FTP is a very old and extremely insecure protocol and therefore should really be abandoned. If you configure your server to use SSH and SFTP instead, you will not only be far more secure, but you will no longer have a problem with the odd way the FTP requires two ports that does not work well through NAT firewalls. By using SSH and SFTP you can also configure public/private keys on your Mac and server that Filezilla, Cyberduck, and Transmit can use for passwordless transfers.

why aiport express block port 21 to use ftp server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.