Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Found WiFi Turned On - Security Problem?

I was checking the battery of the wireless mouse via the top bluetooth menu and accidentally clicked on the wifi menu in error. I found that the wifi was on; however, I don't use wifi as my Mac is connected via a ethernet cable to a routher that is connected to a wall jack for a fiber optic cable connection.

If you look down the wifi menu itself I see three things listed as follows:

DIRECTV_WVB_401573D6 (followed by a little lock symbol and a wifi icon)

Dont Even Try It!!!! (followed by a little lock symbol and a wifi icon)

NETGEAR88 (followed by a little lock symbol and a wifi icon)

The above is followed by three other menu items:

Join Other Network...

Create Network...

Open Network Preferences...

So has someone turned on my wifi by physically accessing my computer and then connected to it? I checked my router and it says only my computer is connected physically to the router at least. I've turned off the wifi for now.

Sorry if this question is for nothing, but awhile back someone attempted to break in using a garage door code reader. They opened both doors for a four car garage to get in, but then sped off after they saw one car was left inside (one person happen to be home sick in bed).

OS 10.9.5

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 6:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 6:25 PM

Hi,

Panic not. Your Wi-Fi is showing you Wi-Fi Networks within range. Just turn off your Wi-Fi

Cheers!!

6 replies

Nov 27, 2015 4:33 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

If you decide to leave it on, be sure to "Set Service Order"

System Preferenes > Network ...

... the gear Icon at the bottom will allow to to choose "set Service Order". This shows a list where interfaces can be dragged into priority order. Move your Etherent connection to the very top.

If an Ethernet connection is ever not available, it will attempt to connect to the next highest interface in the list, and so on.

Nov 27, 2015 4:38 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for the information. I turned it off as I do not use, but I did move Ethernet1 & 2 to the top of the list as suggested in case I were to ever use it.

I do use Bluetooth for a cordless mouse so the order is now:

Ethernet1

Ethernet2

Bluetooth DUN

FireWire

Wi-Fi

Bluetooth PAN

I am thinking the Wi-Fi is coming from a neighbor who installed DirectTV.

Found WiFi Turned On - Security Problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.