Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In OSX El Capitan, what determines feature support?

Hi Everyone,

Handoff and Instant Hotspot

Supported by the following Mac models:

• MacBook (early 2015)
  • MacBook Pro (2012 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (2012 or newer)
  • Mac mini (2012 or newer)
  • iMac (2012 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (late 2013)

As seen above, we have a list of requirements for Handoff and Instant Hotspot support (http://www.apple.com/au/osx/how-to-upgrade/), but how does the OSX El Capitan determine this?

If (for example) I were to take a pre 2012 iMac and install the required hardware to support this feature, will I still fall short for having the older unit? Or will El Capitan recognise the hardware and enable to corresponding features?

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 6:24 PM

4 replies

Nov 25, 2015 7:14 PM in response to goodmoot

I'm going to guess it may be the firmware version. There was a problem some years back with Core Duo iMacs not supporting features which Core 2 Duos did - well, several people tried to outsmart Apple and installed several different parts; unfortunately, at the end of the day, they still had a Core Duo iMac which refused to support the features. So, I wouldn't waste the time, effort, and money on this for two reasons: iMacs are difficult to work with and it will most likely not work.

In OSX El Capitan, what determines feature support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.