Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing iMovie Pref File

Last night I posted another question on this forum where I asked why iMovie kept crashing while exporting the project to a MP4 file. I discovered that if I just remained calm and let it do its thing, it would usually export without problem.

However, each time I trashed the iMovie pref file "com.apple.imovieapp.sfl" in Library. If I didn't do that, iMovie would typically crash. Not a problem until now.

I tried searching for the "com.apple.imovieapp.sfl" file in Library, but it has gone missing. Usually when I start iMovie, it will generate a new file. I started iMovie last night to work on another project and it crashed. There was no "com.apple.imovieapp.sfl" file in Library before starting imovie, and there was no file created AFTER iMovie crashed.

So, what do I do now? I need to work on these projects (and have a tight deadline) but can't because iMovie keeps crashing and the file that typically resolves the crashing issue has gone missing.

(Also, when iMovie crashes, it takes my project with it. Frustrating. Is there any possible way to save the actual project file, or are you just out of luck? Typically iMovie automatically saves it after exporting, but that does not help when it crashes WHILE exporting - forcing me to start over multiple times. 😟)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 6:08 PM

There are no replies.

Missing iMovie Pref File

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.