Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Initial steps to create a video

Hi guys,

Say I have four MP4s I want to cut into a movie. I am perpetually confused about Events, Projects and Libraries.

Ideally after I have made the edits, there is no residue of the operations left on my wife's MBP. Yes ideally my edits were saved into a small file in the case I wanted to make an adjustment in the future (unlikely). Would be wonderful to store that "edit file" in the same directory as my working media, but I have not figured that out.

I made a video describing my poor workflow atm: https://youtu.be/gi7YqXHx9eQ

Like what is the way to get a clip quickly in the time line?

Any other resources to streamline FCPX in my case... would be super grateful.

iPhoto '11

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 7:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 1:52 AM

In short, Libraries are the primary container, Events are imported through the import process to specific Library.

Once an Event/s (clips ,stills, audio etc.) is imported you start work.

You MUST create a New Project at this point and edit your media into the Project in the Timeline.

Note: You can open a clip into the Timeline and think you are editing a Project, WRONG, that's why you can't find your work.

Projects look like this:

User uploaded file

this

User uploaded file

or

User uploaded file

this; depending on how stuff is selected. The common denominator is the Clapper Board icon.

Regards the yellow border on clips, that determines what part will be edited to the Timeline, in/out points in other words.

Clear Ranges (in/outs) if unwanted

User uploaded file

Getting clips from Browser to Timeline use the E key to Append, W to Insert, D to Overwrite:

User uploaded file

Hope this assists getting you started !!

Al

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2015 1:52 AM in response to hendry78

In short, Libraries are the primary container, Events are imported through the import process to specific Library.

Once an Event/s (clips ,stills, audio etc.) is imported you start work.

You MUST create a New Project at this point and edit your media into the Project in the Timeline.

Note: You can open a clip into the Timeline and think you are editing a Project, WRONG, that's why you can't find your work.

Projects look like this:

User uploaded file

this

User uploaded file

or

User uploaded file

this; depending on how stuff is selected. The common denominator is the Clapper Board icon.

Regards the yellow border on clips, that determines what part will be edited to the Timeline, in/out points in other words.

Clear Ranges (in/outs) if unwanted

User uploaded file

Getting clips from Browser to Timeline use the E key to Append, W to Insert, D to Overwrite:

User uploaded file

Hope this assists getting you started !!

Al

Nov 26, 2015 1:58 AM in response to hendry78

hendry78 wrote:

....I am perpetually confused about Events, Projects and Libraries....

A forum can not replace from-the-ground teaching... 😉

You have spend 300$ on FCPX, so why not another ten bucks for

Lessons for Final Cut Po X

(Appstore) from rippletraining?

It gives you a perfect overview, what, where,why, how ....

And, the first 10 lessons, which touch Libs, Events,Projects are for free!

Nov 26, 2015 2:12 AM in response to hendry78

hendry78 wrote:

So just to re-iterate to ensure I understand.. every new movie = New project, right?

Thank you!

Basically that's correct.

If you need to deviate a bit from an existing Project, right click the Project icon and it can be saved as a Duplicate or Snapshot.

A simple way to version your stuff. Name the Duplicates for easy I.D.

BTW: As Karsten indicates , FCP X does require some background understanding for best results.

Al

Nov 26, 2015 2:25 AM in response to hendry78

But the Library IS the metadata for your edits. One file! Store it in the same folder as your mp4s if you want. In that one file, it stores all the info it needs on where everything is, what your edits are etc etc. Personally, for my workflow the Event is unnecessary, but for others it is essential. If you store your media outside of the Library and remember to purge the Render Files they can be very small files. FCPX is not designed to be used without the manual/training. Just as any other major pro piece of editing software is. If you want to use it, learn how to use it. Ripple training are excellent.

A

Nov 26, 2015 3:21 AM in response to hendry78

hendry78 wrote:

I expect to be able to use things without a manual. 😉

FCPX UX is a bit... poor. Hopefully they can see pathetic screencasts like mine and fix it.

It is poor as long as you don't understand how it works.

Karsten's advice is a very good one. Following a good tutorial is a great help.

If you can't or won't spend the ten bucks, look at the introductory course at izzyvideo, which is professionally done, and free.

You won't regret the time spent learning, because you'll be able to do things effectively and, more importantly, UNDERSTAND them.

Grasping at straws is very frustrating. So is trying to make something work in a way it was not designed for.

Nov 26, 2015 5:58 AM in response to hendry78

hendry78 wrote:

FCPX UX is a bit... poor. Hopefully they can see pathetic screencasts like mine and fix it.

Fair enough; within the FCP X user base you would find a great range of requirements that the application needs to fill. Some users do get by pretty well without structured training. But Final Cut is in fact a very "deep: application and for those who need to use it optimally for complex projects, acquiring an understanding of the fundamentals at the outset is important.

As to the user experience comment, you're presumably comparing it to some other non-linear editor that you think is better. Curious which one (or ones) you are comparing it to.

Russ

Nov 26, 2015 8:20 AM in response to hendry78

hendry78 wrote:

Things like … a car, for instance?

User uploaded file

or, an audio-mixer?

User uploaded file

or a Public-Transport-Ticket-Machine?

User uploaded file

(sorry, last example was pathetic … 😉 )

If you near yourself the UI of FCPX with your habitual workflows, it is ... at last weird ("no tracks??").

If you're open minded for a new metaphore, it is awesome.

Nov 26, 2015 1:07 PM in response to hendry78

FCPX does things differently which is mostly good, but the decision to call edits "projects" has probably done as much harm to the app as anything else...

(I'm putting FCPX's name for things in italics with the English after when needed)

Apart from the strange names, it's really simple:

• a Library is your main working document, make a new one for this, er, project
  • import the four mp4's - let FCPX copy them into the Library (where it will create a new Event for the clips)
  • Make a new Project (timeline, edit, sequence) with the same dimensions and frame rate as your source clips
  • to quickly put a clip in the timeline, select it and press E (for "stick it on the End of the primary storyline")
  • edit away ...
  • once you're done, go to the Library in Finder, right-click on it and choose "show package contents", you will then see folders for each event (only one in this case)
    • Open the event folder, you'll see various folders but there will be one for "Render Files" and one for "Transcoded Media"
    • delete the contents of those (if any)
    • your Library is now a trimmed-down archive consisting of not much more than the original four source movies
  • Move your Library to your archive destination of choice: stick, drive, tape, cloud ... whatever the original media is on you can delete, they're all inside the Library
  • sit back, relax, and bask in the glow of success

(There isn't a way that I know of to consolidate a library to just the media you actually used with "handles", but in this day and age having to keep all media isn't too hard)

HTH

Nov 27, 2015 1:56 AM in response to Piers Goodhew

A word of caution: don't mess with the library contents in the Finder. There are very reasons why you'd want to, and you risk corrupting things.

In any case, if you ever do it, DON'T do it when FCP X is running. Quit the application first.

• once you're done, go to the Library in Finder, right-click on it and choose "show package contents", you will then see folders for each event (only one in this case)
    • Open the event folder, you'll see various folders but there will be one for "Render Files" and one for "Transcoded Media"
    • delete the contents of those (if any)
    • your Library is now a trimmed-down archive consisting of not much more than the original four source movies

Instead, in FCP X, select the library, go to File->Delete Generated Library Files... and check everything; for Render Files, choose "All".

Theoretically, this would do the same thing you describe above, but is safer and the recommended way.

Nov 28, 2015 7:19 AM in response to Piers Goodhew

Thank you all for taking the time to help me!! Btw Karsten I heeded your advice and bought Lessons for Final Cut Pro X. Thanks, I haven't regretted the purchase.

I made a movie today and I was very pleased that 'Delete Generated Library Files' got my 10 minute movie down from 54GB to ~4GB!

https://youtu.be/v6eTLQGN5Vc

So now I am treating a movie as a library. But AFAICT that still *****! Tbh I like to keep my original media in a /YYYY-MM-DD on AWS S3. Keeping things in a Library is way too crufty: http://s.natalian.org/2015-11-28/find-library.txt

Also AFAICT it cannot be checked into git or easily shared with a colleague say upon AWS S3. All in all I feel very dissatisfied with this overly complex database Apple foist on its users.

I did notice the Export XML... and http://s.natalian.org/2015-11-28/Saturdayouting.fcpxml which looks kinda promising. Just that file and my original media on S3 could be a way forward. Does anyone use this technique?

Initial steps to create a video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.