Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s iOS support...

Good day...

Can\will anyone please tell me - how long again will Apple continue to support the iPhone 4s with iOS updates\improvements?

(I'm thinking of getting said phone)

Thank you...

PS: Please be sure answer my question as opposed to making suggestions...

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 7:16 PM

22 replies

Nov 25, 2015 8:42 PM in response to PDXooo

Like stedman1 said, Apple won't tell & has not released info on the subject, please keep this in mind when reading my answer. During WWDC 15, Apple seemed like they were giving the 4s one last year when announcing it can update to iOS 9. Considering the iPhone 3Gs Shipped with iOS 3.0 & can only update to iOS 6.1.6 (3 versions) and the iPhone 4 shipped with iOS 4 & can only update to iOS 7.1.2 (also 3 versions), the 4s should have stopped @ iOS 8. It seems that the iPhone 4s has been able to update more versions than older models so I say it will probably be dropped soon. Sorry if this post was hard to read/understand. Good luck!!!

Nov 26, 2015 7:17 AM in response to 2brothers

No need to apologize...

I have no problem understanding - what you are saying is simple unacceptable...

I don't see Apple being 'okay' with someone purchasing a product which they'll soon no longer support - I believe they'll have more integrity than that...

I also don't see answering my question being a problem - unless they hate inquisitive customers...

Anyways, can any of you link me to anyone on here who you KNOW works at\with Apple?

Nov 26, 2015 7:21 AM in response to PDXooo

You certainly will not get an answer from Apple on this.

They will not divulge there plans to you.

Anything that they want to divulge, you would be able to see on their website.

My original iPhone still works just fine, even though there have been no software updates for many years.

Not sure what you are looking for here, but Apple makes pubic any information that they are willing to divulge. You will get no more than that.

Sorry

Nov 26, 2015 7:31 AM in response to roaminggnome

Apologies don't help in any way... #DontApologize

Weather or not a particular phone model will get support with inevitable OS updates is not 'top secret' data...

Perhaps y'all never get answers because y'all never ask...

& even though your original iPhone still works, it will be vulnerable to hackers due to it's lack of updates, hence, it's functionality is irrelevant...

Jeez - y'all are behaving like this is some sort of cult... O.O

Nov 26, 2015 7:37 AM in response to PDXooo

To be fair, Apple hasn't sold the iPhone 4s for more than a year now. When they released the iPhone 6, they stopped selling the 4s and the base model became the iPhone 5c. This year when the iPhone 6s was released, they stopped selling the iPhone 5c and the iPhone 5s became the base model. We know the iPhone 4s will continue to support all versions of iOS 9 and at that point it will have been off the market for 2 years once iOS 10 is released. iOS 10 will most likely be released around September 2016 and the iPhone 4s will then be five year old technology. The biggest thing that drives Apple to not being able to upgrade a specific device is the limitations of the hardware. As advances are made to iOS, it's going to require more power that the iPhone 4s probably won't have. Just because you buy the device now doesn't mean that Apple needs to support that device for several more years. Just know that if you purchase an iPhone 4s, the last iOS you will be able to install is most likely iOS 9 and you are purchasing 4+ year old technology. At bare minimum you should be looking at the iPhone 5s or iPhone 6.

Nov 26, 2015 8:30 AM in response to PDXooo

Submissions

2. Stay on topic. Apple Support Communities is here to help people use Apple products and technologies more effectively. Unless otherwise noted, do not add Submissions about nontechnical topics, including:

• Speculations or rumors about unannounced products.
  • Discussions of Apple policies or procedures or speculation on Apple decisions.
  • No announcement has been made by Apple, therefore, what you're asking for amounts to speculation or rumor.

If you don't bother reading it, you have no idea whether you're "breaking the rules".

Nov 26, 2015 8:42 AM in response to anypats

Did you(indirectly)make a suggestion? -.-

Anyways, it's not 'fair', to force customers to buy your new products by not supporting your old ones... Separate OS or versions of existing ones can be made...

& I don't 'expect' them to, or 'demand' that they keep supporting - I Am Just Asking......How Long They Will Continue...

Just Asking - & I deserve an answer...

(if the cult would permit - lol)

iPhone 4s iOS support...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.