Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto crashes on launch

Hello support community. I've been lucky enough to have almost never had any problems with my macbook, but unfortunately that puts me in the "for dummies" category when it comes to fixing any problems.

iphoto keeps crashing on launch. I recently downloaded some photos and video from my iPhone and hadn't tried launching iPhoto since so maybe that's where the problem originates ? I've tried doing the command-option launch and repairing library and repairing permissions. Haven't gone any farther than that, hoping maybe to get help deciphering the crash report before continuing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 9:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 9:43 PM

Is your iPhoto version iPhoto 9.4.3 or iPhoto 9.4.5?

Then iPhoto is crashing because the Google Maps servers are no longer available.

Then look at this discussion:

There is a problem with the Places feature, because the Google maps are no longer supported.

See Huxly647's solution:

Huxly647Nov 20, 2015 12:05 AM
Re: iPhoto crashes after opening repeatedlyin response to carvermonHelpful

I found a fix that works for me..

1. goto /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources

2. delete the files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html

Iphoto no longer crashes, places doesn't work but it doesn't bother me too much.

Let me know if it works for you guys...

Removing the two files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html from iPhoto's application bundle prevents the javascript inside from being executed and causing the crash. To access the files inside the iPhoto application select it in the Finder and ctrl-click it. Then use the command "Show Package Contents" from the menu. Open the subfolder Contents, then Resources.

Don't try this fix without making a copy of the iPhoto application before you try to remove the two files from the application bundle.

To access the files inside the iPhoto application select it in the Finder and ctrl-click it. Then use the command "Show Package Contents" from the menu. Open the subfolder Contents, then Resources.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2015 9:43 PM in response to wandachristina

Is your iPhoto version iPhoto 9.4.3 or iPhoto 9.4.5?

Then iPhoto is crashing because the Google Maps servers are no longer available.

Then look at this discussion:

There is a problem with the Places feature, because the Google maps are no longer supported.

See Huxly647's solution:

Huxly647Nov 20, 2015 12:05 AM
Re: iPhoto crashes after opening repeatedlyin response to carvermonHelpful

I found a fix that works for me..

1. goto /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources

2. delete the files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html

Iphoto no longer crashes, places doesn't work but it doesn't bother me too much.

Let me know if it works for you guys...

Removing the two files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html from iPhoto's application bundle prevents the javascript inside from being executed and causing the crash. To access the files inside the iPhoto application select it in the Finder and ctrl-click it. Then use the command "Show Package Contents" from the menu. Open the subfolder Contents, then Resources.

Don't try this fix without making a copy of the iPhoto application before you try to remove the two files from the application bundle.

To access the files inside the iPhoto application select it in the Finder and ctrl-click it. Then use the command "Show Package Contents" from the menu. Open the subfolder Contents, then Resources.

Jan 25, 2016 2:42 PM in response to wandachristina

Thanks Leonie and Huxly647. A very simple fix, but one that I was struggling to find. I couldn't pluck up the courage (or time) to plough through all the repair options. I have now discovered that iPhoto is no longer supported. Admitedley I am a version or two behind on the OS so I should keep up to date. However, I have no confidence in the integrity of my photos over the long term when older versions can be discontinued and (effectively in this case) my library becomes inaccessible.

I think I will be returning to a file based system for storing photos. Actually I think I will be using Google Photo from now on.

Thanks again. Memories have been saved.

DK.

Jan 25, 2016 3:13 PM in response to 2point4kids

I have now discovered that iPhoto is no longer supported

This is not true. iPhoto is no longer developed, but is still supported. This forum, for instance.

However, I have no confidence in the integrity of my photos over the long term when older versions can be discontinued and (effectively in this case) my library becomes inaccessible.

How does your Library become inaccessible? iPhoto still runs, the new app that replaces iPhoto will open iPhoto Libraries. Your data is never inaccessible, and your original photos can all be accessed via the Finder. Your memories were never at risk.

iphoto crashes on launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.