Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your Computer Restarted Because of a Problem"

Hi All. My 2013 MacBook Air running OSX 10.9.5 just crashed, and I can't figure out why.

What happened:

I opened the lid of the computer, and at the "enter password" screen, I couldn't click anything except the "x" at the bottom - clicking anywhere else did nothing. I clicked the "x" at the bottom, and the screen went black. Then, the "enter password" screen came back, with the same results - could not click anywhere except the "x" at the bottom. I did this a few times, then held down the power button. The computer restarted, and a dialogue box came up that said "your computer restarted because of a problem."

I've had this dialogue box once before, and it was because of a kernel panic that made reference to Microsoft Excel in the error report. However, this time, the dialogue box gave no option to open an error report. And, when I go to the console and search for "panic", nothing comes up - most of the messages in "Diagnostic and Usage Messages" from the time of the crash are from UserEventAgent, and don't say anything interesting or intelligible. There are only three other messages, all from after the computer started again. Two are very short messages from Safari, and the other is from "ReportCrash". Here is the "ReportCrash" message, which I can't figure out:

[date][time] ReportCrash[412]: com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.crashreporter.writereport.crash

com.apple.message.signature: Captive Network Assistant

com.apple.message.signature2: com.apple.CaptiveNetworkAssistant ||| 3.0 (3.0)

com.apple.message.signature3: [lots of letters and numbers]

com.apple.message.result: NO

com.apple.message.summarize: YES

Sender_Mach_UUID: [lots of letters and numbers]

What could have went wrong? What can I do about it?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 12:04 AM

2 replies

"Your Computer Restarted Because of a Problem"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.