Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retina Macbook Pro Freezes and Restarts Itself

I have an early 2013 15" Retina Macbook Pro (16Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD, dedicated graphics card) that has an occasional problem of freezing and then restarting itself. The problem seems to usually occur when I'm using Safari or some other application, but it is inconsistent. The computer will completely freeze, the trackback and both the keyboard are completely unresponsive, and the screen will stay frozen for about 15-20 seconds before the computer restarts itself. When the computer restarts, it turns back on normally and after logging in, all of my previously open windows and programs reopen automatically (I have this feature turned off however). When I look in Console, there are no panic logs and the computer seems to not register any sort of event that is causing this crash. It's been happening on and off for over a year now. It happened on both Yosemite and now El Capitan (running 10.11.1 currently). There are times where it will happen multiples times a month or the computer will go months without doing this. Not sure how to go about troubleshooting this problem. Any help would be appreciated!User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), 15" Early 2013 Model

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 12:42 AM

3 replies

Nov 26, 2015 9:32 AM in response to imoss92

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

In the Console window, select

DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION System Diagnostic Reports

(not Diagnostic and Usage Messages) from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

There is a disclosure triangle to the left of the list item. If the triangle is pointing to the right, click it so that it points down. You'll see a list of reports. A panic report has a name that begins with "Kernel" and ends in ".panic". Select the most recent one. The contents of the report will appear on the right. Use copy and paste to post the entire contents—the text, not a screenshot.

If you don't see any reports listed, but you know there was a panic, you may have chosen Diagnostic and Usage Messages from the log list. Choose DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION instead.

In the interest of privacy, I suggest that, before posting, you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.)

Please don’t post other kinds of diagnostic report.

I know the report is long, maybe several hundred lines. Please post all of it anyway.

When you post the report, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

If you have an account on Pastebin, please don't select Private from the Paste Exposure menu on the page, because then no one but you will be able to see it.

Nov 28, 2015 5:13 PM in response to Linc Davis

Unfortunately, I do not have any Kernel panic reports. The only mention of a kernel is with the string Kernel_2015-11-15-231913_MICHAELs-MacBook-Pro.gpuRestart, however this does not correlate to the date and time that the issue happened. It seems that when my computer does this, it does not even have a chance to create a kernel panic log.

Retina Macbook Pro Freezes and Restarts Itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.