Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I down load my digital camera directly to my iphone 6

i have an iPhone 6 and I bought an ipad pro ( which is not delivered yet ) I read on line that I could use the usb digital camera to lightening adaptor that is meant for the iPad to also download my digital camera to my iPhone 6 - I have the adapter but it does not work regarding trying to download my camera to my iphone - please advise

iPad, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 8:44 PM

15 replies

Nov 25, 2015 9:01 PM in response to Phil0124

HI - thanks - I guess that where I read that the adapter works for my iphone as well is wrong. Question - when my iPad pro comes soon can I use photo share to transfer all my existing iphone photos direct from my camera right to the iPad pro ( I don't have a computer ) another question - can I use my old Lacie hard drive and connect that directly to my iPad pro to download old pics and files ?

Nov 26, 2015 7:02 AM in response to builderbob66

If you mean iCloud Photo Sharing, It will share the Photos and they can be downloaded to other devices.

iCloud Photo Sharing FAQ - Apple Support

As to your second question, since the iPad is not really designed as a laptop replacement, you will find it cannot do many things that are natural on a laptop. USB drive support is one of those things. The iPad does not have a USB port. And even using the Camera connection Kit's USB adapter will only really let you transfer Photos and videos on the hard drive and onto the iPad that are stored in a very particular way. (as If a camera had created them) You cannot access the hard drive file structure like you would on a laptop. And you cannot write directly to it form the iPad to store files.

Also if the external hard drive does not have its own power source, the iPad will not be able to power it and will issue a warning about it.

If you needed laptop features, a Macbook Air would have been a much better option for a very similar price.

There wireless hard drives however, that can work with iPads, and to read and write files to and from them, but use their own custom App to do so.

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/wirele ss-plus/

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/wireless/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ0ODU1MDExNi9zaWQvLXg0V3Z0Q 20%3D

Nov 26, 2015 10:28 AM in response to builderbob66

builderbob66 wrote:

HHi there - I want to be able to use that adapter to download my older cannon digital camera directly to my iPad pro - " will that work " and if so once the pics are in there can I edit them ?

Yes, that will work. And editing will depend on the Apps you have installed. The native Photos App has some limited editing capability. Other Apps such as Photoshop Express for iOS may offer more options.

builderbob66 wrote:

HHi there - I want to be able to use that adapter to download my older cannon digital camera directly to my iPad pro - " will that work " and if so once the pics are in there can I edit them ?

There aren't really all that many Web dev Apps for iPad. I do web development and the iPad even the Pro would not be my first choice for this.

Nov 26, 2015 10:44 AM in response to Phil0124

YYeah - I'm starting to rethink the iPad thing - since we have emailed I went and read about the entry level Mac Pro 13" with Retina display - seems like a way better option - could you please give me your opinion regarding the MacBook Pro verses the MacBook Air. The MacBook Pro has the Retina display and the force track pad - non of which I've ever had before - where as the air has neither - so if I'm right ? Then the MacBook Pro seems like it would be so much better - can you please advise - also the the MacBook Pro had these ports

Two USB 3 ports - Two Thunderbolt 2 ports and a HDMI port

thanks so much for your help as its been quite a few years since I have bought a new mac

Nov 27, 2015 9:40 AM in response to Phil0124

OK - thanks you guys - I was not paying attention etc. Phil - I'm going to see if I can cancel my iPad pro order since it had not shipped yet ). And since I'm out west and my desk top Mac Pro - ( older model but with a quad processer updated to lion ) is back east - I think spending the money on a Mac Pro verses a mac air would be better. i have some questions that I will try and be specific about that I will forward you on today - ok - thanks a lot Phil for communicating with me as I love macs but I am behind the curve here

Nov 28, 2015 1:51 PM in response to builderbob66

FYI, you can ask questions at any time; as we are all other users/volunteers, there is no guarantee that anyone in particular will or will not be available as we are strewn across the globe with some of us helping out, for others it may be night time, and still others have other things to do and may not pop in regularly and, since this is an open forum, whomever sees your question and believes s/he has an answer, will post one.

Can I down load my digital camera directly to my iphone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.