Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 2tb time capsule connected via my router ti My I mac. I am trying to replace the 2tb with a new 3tb and use the 2tb as a wifi extender. When I plugged the 2tb and plunged in the 3tb it would not work. Can anyone give my step by step instruct

hello, i am trying to replace my 2tb time capsule with a new 3tb time capsule and it will not work, I would like to then use the 2tb as a wifi extender, can anyone help me .

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, null

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 9:08 PM

5 replies

Nov 26, 2015 10:04 AM in response to Prodrag610

i am trying to replace my 2tb time capsule with a new 3tb time capsule and it will not work

Could you please explain in more detail what you mean by "it will not work"?

What will not work? The new Time Capsule or the old Time Capsule?

If you still need step by step instructions, we will need to know what operating system that you have installed on the computer that you are using to set things up. If you have a Mac, and are not sure what operating system it is using......click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen, then click About This Mac and post back with the OS X Version that you see there.

If you don't have a spare Ethernet cable handy.....any length will do....you will need one for the setup.

Nov 26, 2015 3:37 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Operating system 10.5.5... I called apple directly last night and talked to a tech, he instructed me to plug in the router and internet cable and then the power cable, from that point on he was trying to reset the settings and it did not work. He said he needed the at&t settings to make it work, i do have the settings but it was getting late and just gave me a repair number and to call back Friday.

I have a Imac, with the 2tb connected directly via the router.. I want to replace the 2tb with my new 3tb and use the 2tb as a wifi extender.

Thank you for your help, JC

Nov 26, 2015 5:40 PM in response to Prodrag610

Operating system 10.5.5

Unfortunately,, the System Requirements for the new Time Capsule specify that you need a Mac that is running OS X (10.7.5) or higher in order to set up the new Time Capsule correctly.

Mac with OS X Lion v10.7.5 or later and AirPort Utility 6.3 or later

To be honest, I am very surprised that the Apple "tech" did not catch this right off the bat. I'm afraid that a good deal of time may have been spent on something that was not going to work.

Do you by chance have another Mac that is running a recent operation system? We ask because there is a special option in the newer setup utility that allows you to "Replace an existing base station". This option will automatically transfer all of the settings on the old Time Capsule to the new Time Capsule and reset the old Time Capsule back to factory default settings.

You might want to remind the "tech" about this option since it would be much simpler to do things this way.

User uploaded file

I have a 2tb time capsule connected via my router ti My I mac. I am trying to replace the 2tb with a new 3tb and use the 2tb as a wifi extender. When I plugged the 2tb and plunged in the 3tb it would not work. Can anyone give my step by step instruct

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.