Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac pro (early 2009) failed to boot after upgrading EI Capitan

Previously the 2009 mac pro was running OS X 10.10 correctly. During upgrading it to the newer 10.11 EI Capitan, the machine restarted and can't boot anymore, staying at the stage with the whole white screen (without Apple Logo showed). After that, I tried installing a new clean EI Capitan from a bootable U drive (press Option key and choose that U drive disk to boot from), in this case, I can see that U drive disk is recognized by the system, but when I tried to double click the icon to start booting from the U drive and install the new OS, nothing happens. I'm totally sure that the bootable U drive is correctly created and tested in a MacBook Air.

In this case, how can I install a clean OS to this machine??? I have been puzzled by this problem for quite a long time. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mac Pro 2009, 8-core-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11), null

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 9:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 11:30 AM

- Remove/disconnect all peripherals except mouse, KB and monitor and internal PCle cards except graphics card and try booting.

- What graphics card?

- Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

- Try starting in Safe Mode

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

- Boot to Recovery and repair the startup disk

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

- If it is repairable reinstall the OSX

How to reinstall OS X on your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2015 11:30 AM in response to coperd

- Remove/disconnect all peripherals except mouse, KB and monitor and internal PCle cards except graphics card and try booting.

- What graphics card?

- Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

- Try starting in Safe Mode

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

- Boot to Recovery and repair the startup disk

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

- If it is repairable reinstall the OSX

How to reinstall OS X on your Mac - Apple Support

mac pro (early 2009) failed to boot after upgrading EI Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.