Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I accidentally took my iphone off airplane while I am in England it is now recognized as an English phone because it pinged off of an English tower. Can I return it to US mode while I am still in England?

I am staying abroad in London for two months. The other day I accidentally took my iPhone off airplane for like, half a second. BUT during that time the phone pinged off of an English phone tower and is now recognized as an English phone. I know this becasue I have been checking my messages through my computer and now I get a busy signal/or message saying basically that the phone is international. I called ATT to verify this. They told me the only way to return it to US mode is when I return to the US, open the phone and it pings off of a US phone tower.

Is this information correct? it seems that there must be a way to return it to US mode while I am still here, no? I am expecting messages from the US to my phone and don't want there to be a busy sigal or error message for the people trying to leave messages.

Thanks!

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 1:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 1:47 AM

There's no U.S tower in England,so you can't switch to a U.S. tower. You are now using so called "roaming" (very expensive).

You can use your Wi-Fi connection for iMessage/e-mail.

Switch in Settings > Cellular > Data Roaming: Off

Also switch back your Airplane mode: On

3 replies

Nov 26, 2015 1:53 AM in response to ckuan

Thanks for your reply. Yes, all has been off since I have been here. I only (accidentally), took it off of Airplane for one moment, realized that I had, and put it back on immediately. During that time since I am staying in a home with internet and phones etc, it pinged off of a UK tower.

Anyway, ok I guess that is not great news. thanks again.

I accidentally took my iphone off airplane while I am in England it is now recognized as an English phone because it pinged off of an English tower. Can I return it to US mode while I am still in England?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.