Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error while attempting to format the Windows USB Drive: "Your bootable USB drive could not be created: An error occurred while formatting the disk."

Issue:

I've been stuck at the 'Create Bootable USB Drive for Windows Installation for the longest of times, with the error given in the title of this thread.

Background information:

I am using the USB Drive, that comes with the Windows 10 Home box, for the re/formatting process.

What I have done:

1. I have unmounted the ISO via. Terminal and Disk Utility, previously.
1.5. I have also attempted to do this process using Terminal, but I am faced with a 'Permission Denied' when I attempt using (sudo dd if=/(file location) of=dev/disk# bs=1m).
2. I have tried using the ISO file (4.02 GB) from the Microsoft website, and the ISO file (8.33 GB) converted from the contents of the USB.
3. I have check that I am selecting the correct ISO file, and not the default option that it selects.
4. I have ticked all three (3) boxes in the 'Select Tasks' menu in Boot Camp Assistant.

Any help would be really appreciated, as I have come to a complete halt.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 3:09 AM

8 replies

Nov 26, 2015 8:54 AM in response to Loner T

It's the USB that comes with the Windows 10 Home edition box.

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.3 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 499.4 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.1 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal, virtual):

0: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD +499.1 GB disk1

Logical Volume on disk0s2

A55BBB6D-DB44-46B7-8EFC-06D1C1A03352

Unlocked Encrypted

/dev/disk2 (external, physical):

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *15.7 GB disk2

1: Windows_FAT_32 WINDOWS10 15.7 GB disk2s1

Nov 26, 2015 9:26 AM in response to thataznone

Are you trying to use the same USB, both, as a source for the Windows Software and the USB installer? If yes, it will not work. The presence of just the Autorun.inf seems to indicate that.

If the ISO you created is from this USB shown, either we can erase this USB (which I would not recommend) or find a different USB and try to format it with Disk Utility, before we let BCA use it.

Nov 26, 2015 4:44 PM in response to Loner T

Hello!

Upon changing the USB to a SanDisk Cruzer 16GB, the formatting process begins to work.

However, I get the 'Your Bootable Drive could not be created. There is not enough space available on the disk' error.

I've reformatted my USB, upon looking at another thread here, to MS-DOS (FAT) and Master Boot Record, but it still does it not.

Got any idea of what might be wrong?

Error while attempting to format the Windows USB Drive: "Your bootable USB drive could not be created: An error occurred while formatting the disk."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.