Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi Log In form won't accept input for username

Using iPhone 6s Plus with iOS 9.1

Can't enter any text in the pop-up wifi Log In form, specifically the username field.

No problem entering text in the password field.

Username field will accept no input from the iOS keyboard.

This is at a hotel. The hotel IT staff was able to use my iPhone's Wi-Fi address to approve the device in their system, and then log-in through the browser.

But iOS would not accept input in theUsername field

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 5:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 2:22 PM

Hi kpbarbee,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I'm sorry to hear you are having these issues with your iPhone. From your description, it sounds like you may be trying to join what is known as a "captive" WiFi network. If that is the case, you may find the information and steps outlined in the following articles helpful:

Use captive Wi-Fi networks on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Cheers

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2015 2:22 PM in response to kpbarbee

Hi kpbarbee,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I'm sorry to hear you are having these issues with your iPhone. From your description, it sounds like you may be trying to join what is known as a "captive" WiFi network. If that is the case, you may find the information and steps outlined in the following articles helpful:

Use captive Wi-Fi networks on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Cheers

Dec 12, 2015 10:56 PM in response to brenden dv

Thanks for the reply - this does not solve my problem of not being able to type into the wifi login form.

Now using iOS 9.2

I have now had this problem in three different locations:

• A Le Meridien Hotel in Bangkok
  • The free airport wifi at Bangkok Suvranabhumi International Airport
  • The Miracle Lounge at Bangkok Suvranabhumi International Airport

So I am sure this is a device issue, not a "Captive WiFi Network" issue.

To repeat, the problem is I can't type into the login form - no keyboard pops up when I put the cursor in the "username" box. This ONLY happens with the "username" box. When the cursor is placed into the password box, the keyboard pops right up.

Please give me other options to solve this. Example: how can I find the IP address of the Captive Wifi Network's login page? That's how the hotel bypassed the iPhone/iOS pop-up wifi login page...

THANKS!

Dec 15, 2015 5:18 AM in response to kpbarbee

I have found a workaround for this issue, which I have now experienced at a hotel in Kuala Lumpur.

When the Apple iOS pop-up for WiFi login appears, press "cancel" and then "use without internet."

This connects the device to the WiFi, but you are not logged in.

Open your phone's web browser and visit this page: http://192.168.0.1 [Default page for WiFi routers]

The login screen for wifi access will appear in the web browser and the keyboard performs normally.

Apple's reply on this issue was not helpful at all and didn't even address the issue of the keyboard not popping up to allow input in the "username" field.

Disappointed in Apple.

Dec 18, 2015 8:40 PM in response to kpbarbee

All:

I find this solution on a different post and it fixed my problem. Check for SwiftKey or possibly any other third-party keyboard app. If one is installed, try removing it. I was running SwiftKey, removed it, restarted my phone, and was able to successfully login to a "captive network."

Here's the other thread:

Re: unable to enter username when connecting to wifi

HH

Wifi Log In form won't accept input for username

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.