Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive not recognised

The issue: my 1TB hard drive in an external docking station is no longer recognised by my MacBook. It was working well enough yesterday, and today I got the white screen of death. I unplugged all external memory devices, inserted my bootable install OSX USB, and changed the start up disk. My 1TB disk does not show up in Disk Utility. I have tried to use it with other hard drive enclosures to no avail. When it's plugged in, the screen is white; when unplugged, it shows the famed question mark folder. The enclosure lights continually flash, ultimately coming to nothing.

In short, it happens that I can't put my hard drive inside my MacBook, since the hard drive cables I buy manage to fry themselves every 2-3 months and it is costly to replace (this is an issue that nobody has been able to resolve). The hard drive itself is just a few months old and I have no reason to believe it is beyond repair given that I have fixed similar problems after being told that my hard drives were dead.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), MBP 2011

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 3:38 AM

There are no replies.

Hard drive not recognised

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.