Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring iPhone does not download software file?

I have recently bought a brand new iPhone 5s running iOS 9.1. Normally when I've had to restore the software on previous iPhones (previously, another 5s and a 4s, all eventually running iOS 9.1), iTunes downloads a software file from Apple servers.

However, when I was restoring the new iPhone 5s today, iTunes did not download any software file, and the message at the top of iTunes had things that suggested that it had already been downloaded (even though it didn't) - like "verifying restore with Apple", "restoring software", "restoring firmware" etc.

My question is: does restoring the iPhone and reinstalling the software/firmware no longer require a download of the files required to do so? Does it come internally from somewhere?

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 2:27 AM

3 replies

Nov 26, 2015 2:32 AM in response to spring2002

I should also note, if relevant: the new iPhone 5s came pre-installed with iOS 8.4.1, and I tried downloading iOS 9.1 via the software update option on the phone but it failed halfway through because I had not connected the phone to a power source and when the battery goes below 50%, it stops downloading. From then, I updated to iOS by plugging the phone into my Macbook and updating via iTunes.

Nov 26, 2015 6:58 PM in response to spring2002

If I read your original post correctly, you had a 5s before this one? And you had downloaded the software update on your computer for that 5s?

If so, then the computer still has the software on it - I don't recall where iTunes stashes them, but it does save the file at least until a new version is downloaded. So, not seeing iTunes download the software was entirely normal.

I believe it would only download a new file if you had a different model of phone. So, if you had purchased a 6 or 6s, iTunes would have downloaded the software for it.

~Lyssa

Restoring iPhone does not download software file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.