Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fancy a refurb notebook to replace my windows laptop but I'm lost.. Any direction out there

Struggled to find a better place to put this, sorry if I was being blind.

I'm not really fussed about having new top of the range.. Just not false economy...

I'm tired with windows and now having a iphone, iPad and house full of iPods.. Would like a Mac for ease of compatibility...

As I say I'm not fussed about big impressive specs just good enough to last a few years. It'd be used for music storage and organisation, surfing, watching TV, social media, homework (So will need some kind of office application)... Blah blah blah.. Pretty basic stuff

Any suggestions or nudges?

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 4:47 AM

12 replies

Nov 26, 2015 8:40 AM in response to loobyscooby

Your first decision in the ones listed there now would be size -- 13.3 or 11.6. For me, the 11.6 is too small, but that is something you need to decide.

I have a 2012 base model and it does everything you list and still does it well. The £719 model at the top of the list is the closest equivalent but newer with somewhat better specs. You may also want to consider the £849 model which has the larger 256GB SSD for more storage.

Nov 26, 2015 9:32 AM in response to loobyscooby

Don't. Stay with Windows. You'll always get more bang for you buck in the Windows world. I bought a MacBook Air from Micro Center. Apples quality is a myth. I bought a 256 MB 4MB Air in June and I guess I'll used it for YouTube and Netflix. No problems streaming video over Wi-Fi. Don't even try to run Google Chrome or MS Office.

Mine may just be a lemon but if you see a pallet of MacBooks on sale RUN! I think Apple made 1000's of MacBooks that they wholesaled to Apple resellers because the configuration was not right. Also a MacBook Air is a toy compared to a MacBook Pro.

Buy a new Macbook Pro from an Apple Store. Get as much RAM as you can afford. Looking at over $2000. If you have to know the price before you make a decision, you can't afford ie.

This is my own humble opinion. This post probably won't get posted anyway. But I have other fish to fry. Lots of info on web about Apple. I'd start there

I hate windows too, but Apple is a whole new ballgame.

Peace,

Rob

Nov 26, 2015 11:35 AM in response to robfromknoxville

I have to agree with Rob

As we speak, i am writing this comment on a Macbook Air, That i paid almost 1000$ for ( earlier 2015)

That being said you can get a really good, and well build machine from dell for around 450-550$ ( half the price) with better specs.

If you do decided to get a Macbook, try out the Air. It is really well made, not the greatest specs, but it will cost you way more. Most people when they buy a Windows machine they will spend around 300$ on the computer than try to compare it to a 850$ Macbook computer. This doesn't make sense. If you spend that same price for both you will see the huge improvement over the device.

Dec 9, 2015 6:36 AM in response to loobyscooby

Well I have tried everything I can to get a replacement but Apple Support has run out of options. My future son-in-law gave my granddaughter his MacBook air and I can see why. If you can get Windows or Office to work, god bless you. Your a better man than me.

Alexa (AppleCare) said I should have known better than to buy the MacBook Air. It wasn't designed to be a real laptop. Wow! Apple telling me I should have known better than to buy their product.

I'm looking at a Leveno. Every time I ask a Dell owner: Do you like your laptop they go off on how great Dell's service is! I have had IBM's, Compaq's that never needed service. I'm looking a two Compaq's right now that have been in service collectively fi=or more than 14 years without a service call. That's moot of course unless you get one off-lease. I think Walmart has then=m with a one year warranty.

Maybe a Samsung Chrome or a Leveno Chrome is the way to go. Apple service people go way beyond any other service organization I've ever work with. KUDOs AppleCare. Apple does some screwy thing in their IOS releases. Never sure they will will work with the new release!!

I had the thought that since the house is full of IOS devices that an OS X would be a natural. Wrong! I can buy a Business model Leveno, etc and a Samsung Chrome and still have enough for a very nice dinner for the wife. She thinks I have enough computers!

Just MHO. Good luck. Steve is gone. Apple will never be the same. Go Blue (Michigan).

Rob

Dec 9, 2015 10:08 AM in response to loobyscooby

Always buy a refurb from Apple - Apple treats them like a brand new computer with a full year warranty and eligible for AppleCare extended warranty. After that, decide what you want. The first choice is ultra portable with long battery life (MacBook Air) or beautiful display and decent battery life (retina MacBook). Note that I leave out the MacBook, Apple’s newest and most portable computer. I think it involves too many compromises at this time to seriously consider. The next choice is size. The 11” MBP doesn’t have quite the battery life of the 13” since it has a smaller battery to match its smaller size and it also lacks a built in SD Card reader. Personally I think the 13” MBA is the perfect notebook computer. The 15” retina, for my taste, is too heavy and large to conveniently pack around all day or travel with.

Having read what rob and joo have said I have to respectfully suggest that you ignore it. You cannot get a quality Windows notebook for $400-500. You get a huge compromise that will have lost all its resale value in 3 years, meanwhile your Mac will still be going strong and have a good resale value - assuming you want to sell it after 3 years. Of course there are some good PCs notebook out there - they also cost close to what a Mac does. Think I’m talking non-sense? I work for an organization that supplies its employees with Windows notebooks - the $400-500 machines. We are lucky to get 36 months out of them and at this time most who own a 2 year old computer are lucky to get 30 minutes on a full battery charge. Those stuck with a 3 year old computer have begun trading them in for new ones already. But the tech department loves their Dells. Nearly everyone carries around a mouse because the trackpads are pathetic. Well, nearly everyone since about a third of us either use our own personal Mac or have been able to convince IT that we need a one.

Dec 10, 2015 8:40 PM in response to dwb

The reason why i disagree is why would anyone wanna buy a 3 year old computer? Technology advance so fast there is no point of trying to ( Re-sell) your computer after its been used for 3 years. You are doing whoever is buying that computer a disservice.

We live in a day in age where you should be buying a new computer every 3-4 years anyway and a new smart phone every 1-2 years

Dec 11, 2015 4:36 AM in response to joo2h

My newest MBPs are late 2011 models with 16 GB RAM and SSDs installed in them. True that they are not quite as fast as a fully configured new MBP, but there will be NO perceptible difference in performing mundane tasks compared to the new models and slightly longer wait times for heavy duty applications. They may fall outside your parameters, however they are far from being obsolete.

Look at ebay and see what the SOLD prices are for used MBPs. My MBPs sell for well over a $1000. I do not consider that to be pocket change.

Ciao.

Dec 11, 2015 11:58 AM in response to dwb

I am not saying there is no Market for refurbished Mac's. Before you tell someone they do not know what they are talking about you should fully read the post. All I was saying if you are going to spend 1000$ on a computer you might as well buy a new one. I own a Mac, I love my Mac, but my opinion is my opinion bro. Nobody is telling you that you dont know what your talking about when you gave your opinion.

this forum is to get feedback from everyone in the community. Not just yours. The person who wrote this thread will make his own decision after reading all of the feedback, but don't put other people down because they disagree with you

if you read my first post, I recommended getting a MacBook Air, because it will suit his needs as stated. He doesn't care about high in spec's so a pro would not be needed. He just want to surf and have the device last him a few years. If you get him a refurb unit, his life span has already taken a dip because its been used.

He can still buy a refurbished unit, I am here to recommend not buying refurbished unit. Buy a new one.

Dec 11, 2015 2:49 PM in response to joo2h

You are confusing Apple refurbished computers and used computers - they aren’t the same thing at all. Apple has a 14 day return policy and those returned computers cannot be resold as new. There are lots of reasons someone might return a computer within the 14 days. It might be DOA but it also might be a case of buyer’s remorse (which is why I returned a notebook some years ago - I decided I’d bought the wrong model). Apple refurbs are checked out by Apple technicians, anything not right is replaced. Apple treats their reforms as new computer - they have the same 1 year warrantee as a new Apple computer. Your dismissal of an Apple refurb makes no sense at all. They are this year’s model, not 2-3 year old used computers/

A used computer is something else completely. But ask yourself this - why is there a market for used Macs? Why would someone pay for a 3 year old Mac but not a 3 year old PC. Are Mac users dumb or do they know what Oglethorpe and I (to name 2) know - that a 3 year old Mac still has a lot of life left and can perform the same tasks that new models can. I have a 4 1/2 year old MBA and a brand new retina MBP. When I’m online, writing papers, writing code, checking email, and editing photos I notice absolutely no difference in performance between the two. It is only when I compile a large project or perform other CPU intensive tasks that the new MBP struts its stuff. My 2011 MBA won’t command your quoted $1000 but it will get about $400 and based on my experience it is good for another 2-3 years. That’s how long I’d expect a $400 PC to last and have no value.

I stand by my reply. Having worked in the industry for over 20 years my opinion is more informed than yours.

Fancy a refurb notebook to replace my windows laptop but I'm lost.. Any direction out there

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.