Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to import photos migrated from pc to imac

photos have been migrated to imac. can't seem to import them into photos on imac.

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 6:41 AM

6 replies

Nov 30, 2015 10:51 AM in response to LarryHN

ok I understand. I did actually figure out how to do the import but it did not come out as I hoped. On the PC I had some 8000 photos that were store in some 300 folders. Each folder was titled with yyyy-mm-dd and descriptive name. All of the folders were stored under a master folder named Pictures and all of this was migrated over to the iMac.

When I did the import I opened Photos then went to file-import and selected the Pictures folder (I could see that this folder contained all of the photo folders from the PC). The import worked but not as I expected. I got one large album entitled Last Import that included all of the photos. The Photo tab on the iMac contains all of the photos arranged according to date but this process did not work correctly. Photos from a large bulk of the early folders were all listed with a large number of photos from the last several folders in a period titled Yesterday. So the first date period shown is actually not the first. Rather the period starts somewhere in the middle of the time frame that is covered by the photos. The folders and the photos themselves were not recently modified on the PC.

I guess my questions now are is there a way to get albums that match up to the individual folders I had on the PC. Is there a way to get the Photos listed in correct time frame order. If I delete a photo that is shown in the album section is it also deleted from the photo section.

Nov 30, 2015 1:34 PM in response to Vaccaro81

Not easily

You can drag each folder to the Photos icon to import it then open last import and select all - click the + sign and create an album and name it the same as the folder

In iPhoto you could drag a folder to the albums section of iPhoto and it would create a matching album - I do not believe that is available in photos unfortuantly

As to deleting - depends -- if you right click on an image (or selected group of images) in an album you can choose remove from album or delete "n" photos - removing form album does that leaving the photos in the library - delete does that moving the photos to the recently deleted album for about 30 days and then they are deleted - you can delete anytime form recently deleted if you want

LN

Nov 30, 2015 1:48 PM in response to Vaccaro81

I guess my questions now are is there a way to get albums that match up to the individual folders I had on the PC.

Yes if you're willing to reimport the photos from the PC. There's an Applescript that will import a folder of photos into the Photos library and create an album in the sidebar with the same name as the folder which contains those photos. You can get it here: Photos for Mac: Import Folders of Image Files into Library as Albums. Other user provided Scripts can be found in the Photos for Mac User Tips section.

User uploaded file

Nov 30, 2015 4:44 PM in response to Old Toad

Since I am new to the Apple side of things it took me a little while to figure out how to follow the instructions. But once I had the script saved I tried it out and it worked fine.

I also figured out why under the Photo tab some pictures were lumped together instead of being listed under a date. The problem was that on the folders from the PC only had year and month listed as part of their folder name instead of year-month-date. So I am now going to delete all of the photos and re-import them all after of course modifying the folder name.

Thanks for all the help.

how to import photos migrated from pc to imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.