Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems downloading itunes and icloud after windows 10 install

I am not able to download iTunes or icloud on a PC with windows 10. When I try to download iTunes I get 4 UNKNOWN\components\long string of letters/numbers error messages, and when I try to download icloud I get 3 unkown/component/etc error messages (of which two are the same error messages as iTunes). I have followed all of the advice I could find on the forum about changing owner/administrator permission for components, but I still get the error messages and even got to the point of trying to change the permissions for the four individual error codes, but if I right click on the permissions for them I get the message 'Registry editor could not set security in the key currently selected , or some of its sub keys'

The problem originally started with update issues, with older versions of Apple software and bonjour not being able to be removed, so I followed all the advice on uninstalling everything related to iTunes but now cannot download.

Any suggestions please?

null-OTHER, Windows 10

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 3:40 AM

11 replies

Nov 26, 2015 5:36 AM in response to ydb123

For "Could not open key/write value" errors when reinstalling try b noir's user tip:

"Could not open key: UNKNOWN\Components\[LongStringOfLettersAndNumbers]\
[LongStringOfLettersAndNumbers]" error messages when installing iTunes for Windows

The technique can be applied to the branch of the registry mentioned in the error message.

SeeTroubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for further advice.

tt2

Nov 26, 2015 6:15 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for answering. I had already gone through bnoir's steps, including the further steps, a few times and have just tried it again in case I missed anything but it has not resolved the issue unfortunately. Only one thing is slightly different in my system is that there is not a box saying 'replace owner or subcontainers and objects' but one that says' replace all child object permission entries' which I have assumed does the same thing but still hasn't resolved the problem. I have looked on the troubleshooting issues advice page as well but cannot see anything that relates directly to solving this issue. Any other ideas please?

Nov 26, 2015 7:25 AM in response to turingtest2

Yes running install as an administrator

In terms of iTunes being uninstalled, I have run Windows Install Clean Up which shows all items have been uninstalled and non are listed in the programmes. Have checked in File Explorer and all have been deleted from Program File (x86) BUT in Program Files it will not let me delete Bonjour saying 'The action cannot be implemented because the folder or file is open in another program'. I have tried going into Task Manager and it doesn't show it in Processes at all and when I look under the Services tab it has it listed as stopped, and Windows Install clean up doesn't seem to recognise it as being there so I cannot seem to delete it.

The only other iTunes file remaining on my system is the generic 'iTunes'folder which has my music library in it which I moved to my desktop.

When I try to install itunes or icloud the error message is Could not open key: UNKNOWN\Components\ long string of letters and numbers. Verify you have sufficient access to that key or contact your support personnel

One other thing I should say is that whilst following a previous forum thread to try and resolve the problem I moved iTunes.reg file to my desktop as well, could that be part of the problem?

Nov 27, 2015 3:23 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi

Safe mode did enable me to delete Bonjour file successfully, thanks. However still not able to install iTunes, with same error messages coming up..

I have tried exporting and deleting the named keys but have not been able to delete them. When I export it makes a copy only to the desk top. I can delete the copy but the original file remains in Components and when I try and delete them directly (right click, delete) it comes up with the message 'Cannot delete error while deleting key'. I have also tried changing the permissions for the problem keys but it again just comes up with an error message 'registry editor could not set security in the key currently selected or some of its subkeys'

Nov 27, 2015 6:14 AM in response to turingtest2

Screenshot 1 is the 1st error message when I try and install iTunes, 3 others of the same type then follow but with different key numbers

Screenshot 2 is the error message if I try and make any changes to permissions having ticked the 'replace all child object permission entries etc' box, administrator, apply

Screenshot 3 is the error message if I try and delete one of the individual key files that has the error

I tried in safe mode but same error messages appearedUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Nov 27, 2015 6:43 AM in response to ydb123

This might be one of those occasions where a registry cleaner might help. I'd be tempted to start however with the free version of this product and see if its Reset Registry Permissions tool can fix things.http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_windows_repair.html

From the last screenshot I'd guess that deleting the whole branch might cause problems since that might break every package that relies on a C library. It is only the one previously installed by iTunes that needs to be deleted or updated.

tt2

Problems downloading itunes and icloud after windows 10 install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.